Simple electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple electrical question

I am trying to hook up an indicator light to see if I have power to an appliance.

The appliance is plugged into an appliance module, so I am using an appliance module with the same code and have this plugged into it

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102794

The problem is that when power is on the LED is bright, but when power is off it still shines but not as brightly.

Am I using the wrong LED? Bulb? do I need something else? ( resisitor?)

any help appreciated.
    jjsmd@yahoo.com

I'm assuming X10 Appliance module. I think what you'll find is the local voltage sense is allowing enough voltage through to light the lamp, dimly anyway. Most X10 modules keep just enough voltage going through to allow the module to sense when you have turned on the appliance manually and allow it module to turn on. I have seen some mods for Appliance modules that disable the local section. I've not tried them though.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmd View Post
      I am trying to hook up an indicator light to see if I have power to an appliance.

The appliance is plugged into an appliance module, so I am using an appliance module with the same code and have this plugged into it

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102794

The problem is that when power is on the LED is bright, but when power is off it still shines but not as brightly.

Am I using the wrong LED? Bulb? do I need something else? ( resisitor?)

any help appreciated.
      The device you have is not a led, it is a small neon light.

it is sensitive to low current and will pickup the leakage current from the current sense circuitry in the appliance module. You will need to Modify the module like Nightwalker said to get rid of the dim flickering.

You can search the forum to find info about the mod. It's been discussed around here somewhere and somebody even posted photos. If I remember correctly, you need to cut a diode wire to disable the current sense.

Remember, however, that you are dealing with live line voltage. Insulation is very important...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'll look for the mods aand try it out.
        jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Instead of the Neon indicator you can buy a conventional "pilot lamp" like this. (you can find them at Lowes or Home Depot). I use this for a "towel warmer" to tell me when it is ON. You could also try a "fixture module" instead of an appliance module. The fixture module does not have the local current sense feature.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

You could also just disable the local current sense feature of the module.

It's easy to do...I don't have the link handy...but it involves clipping a single DIODE inside the module.

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

There are at least two versions of the X10 appliance module.
              I think this may be the older version: http://www.laureanno.com/x10-mods.html . Look at "Modification to disable local control/current sensing"

With later versions, which is likely what you have, you'll find a simple jumper flush with the component side of the board which needs to be cut to accomplish the same thing. I've modified a couple of these successfully.
              http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/Modif...nce_module.htm . Look at "Modifying appliance modules for local control". Instead of adding a switch, you just want to cut the jumper
              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                You could also just disable the local current sense feature of the module.

It's easy to do...I don't have the link handy...but it involves clipping a single DIODE inside the module.

--Dan
                Duh..!

Comment

This thread has pics of the diode:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=130782
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                    Instead of the Neon indicator you can buy a conventional "pilot lamp"
                    Another option that I have used is a neon or LED night light. They draw very little current, do not light when the module is off, and are easily visible, even in day light.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                    X