No announcement yet.

new installer is HORRIBLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, does this really have to be this hard? To me anyway, any time I do an update for anything on a system be it HS or any other program I prefer to be right there in front of it. RDT works just fine but, I still prefer to be there if I'm upgrading or updating something. If i can't be there then the update can wait till I can be. I understand for a remote system you have no choice but to log in remotely for some things but updates are not one of them. Just my personal opinion of course.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I get it... I just don't like it. I know the problems are separate but related.

Knowing that homeseer could halt during startup is an uneasy feeling.

I also understand that when applying updates you should be there... makes sense. Something goes wrong, you might need to fix something.

Lets go back to the whole been doing this since 1.7.

In 1.7 it was a windows application, not a web application, so being local or RDP'd in was to be expected. I can also tell you that adding events and seting up devices was WAY easier with a windows front end, but we don't need to get back to that conversation either... You made the decision to move towards all web-based (this is backwards from that, and NOT web based)

I'm my opinion this is a step backwards... I really don't need to see a dialog box everytime I want to install or update a plug-in. I've seen organizations install very complicated software on 1000's of machines automatically without a hitch or hiccup or needing to go on location or RDP in to hold each computers hand during the installation... If a plug-in needs specific information from a user such as paths or something I get it... but clicking next on a dialog box, and I agree, and ok, and ok again etc... and then it's done and then click ok again is something that could just happen automatically.

Going back one more time to my real point...

Blocking operations with automation is unacceptable when you rely on the system to perform more than one function.

I wouldn't want my furnace to stop working because I didn't get my mail from my mailbox yet right? I rely on my house to perform both functions and even though there is a phone bill in the mailbox that needs my attention the furnace doesn't wait for me to get the mail out of my mailbox to keep the house warm.

I'm using that analogy because while I need homeseer to startup and run, I also need it to do things unconditionally. And even with HSPro and the watchdog it won't catch the case of homeseer sitting there waiting for user input when what I really want it to do, is just keep on doing what it was doing before it asked me a question..
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
        Wow, does this really have to be this hard? To me anyway, any time I do an update for anything on a system be it HS or any other program I prefer to be right there in front of it. RDT works just fine but, I still prefer to be there if I'm upgrading or updating something. If i can't be there then the update can wait till I can be. I understand for a remote system you have no choice but to log in remotely for some things but updates are not one of them. Just my personal opinion of course.
        I agree. I was right there in front of Alfred when i had my morning of horribleness, though. So, FWIW, the fact that you have to be right in front of or even RDP into it is a non issue for me. the aforementioned difficulties are my gripe.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Working...
        X