Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitoring internet traffic for total use...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring internet traffic for total use...?

OK, my ISP is going to be starting the "5GB/month" cap crud...

I do not want to rely on their numbers as to how much bandwidth we are using.

My DSL modem / router displays the amount of packets that are being sent / received, and I made a script that can parse that information from the modem's webpage.

Any idea what the conversion is for a DSL packet to mb?

Or is there a better way? Maybe hook my server into a HUB, and run a packet sniffer...anything that is destined for an address which is NOT my internal network, or from a source that is not internal should be considered external traffic? Is there software that can calculate this?

Or are there better / different ideas?

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Hey Dan,

Could you perhaps clear the packet counter in your router to zero then download a file of a known size (e.g. 1 MB) and then check the router for the packets received?

?? Packets received = 1MB

Comment

Check discussions in http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131591 ; it mentions a few tools that you might be able to use.

Comment

Working...
      X