Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clueless in Event Land

Gang,

I know this is a rookie question, but what am I doing wrong with this event. It is not firing and the flag Goodnight is Off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Attached Files

Hi Chuck,

What's the trigger for the event?

You're showed us that the conditions are "anytime after sunset" and "JDS Goodnight is OFF" but those conditions will only get tested if the event triggers.

It may be easier to explain what you are trying to do and we can help you setup the event.

Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

It looks to me that your trigger is "0 minutes, 0 seconds after sunset", which is effectively AT sunset. Then you have a condition "Anytime after sunset". This is contradictory. The time can't be AT and AFTER sunset at the same time.
      Change your trigger type to "Condition" rather than "Sunset". Your currently set condtions should be retained, and the event should trigger fine.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thanks Wadenut.

That's what I was trying to get to but I wasn't sure from the screen capture if it was a sunset trigger and I didn't want to confuse him any further. In general, you have to be careful when setting conditions in that the conditions of the trigger may never be true.

Ken
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

That did it!

Thanks ... You guys rock!

That was it. If it was a snake, it would have bit me! The AT Sunset and after Sunset was the problem.

So, at least I am out of clueless in event land for now.

Thanks for rescuing me guys!

Comment

I imagine we've all been bitten by that particular snake at least once.
            It should work... why won't it work?... then eventually... DOH!

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              I imagine we've all been bitten by that particular snake at least once.
              It should work... why won't it work?... then eventually... DOH!
              Oh yeah. That snake just sits on my desk, coiled and ready to strike at the first hint of a "Doh!" moment. The snake is rarely disappointed.....

Comment

Speaking of the DOH! snake.

I've struggled with this one for months, and the solution just now sneaked up from behind and clubbed me in the head. It's supposed to trigger once in the morning, so each time I'd look at it for a bit then go do something else because I couldn't see the problem.

Group 1
                Device: System Status Active Mode has been ON for exactly 1 hours and 0 minutes AND
                Device: System Control Alarm Clock Mode is Working AND
                Date is after 11/15/Y AND
                Date is before 3/31/Y

This event is supposed to start the car on cold mornings, but never worked until I made one simple change... Anyone want to slap me?

Comment

Oh, I like these kind of puzzles.

It looks like a problem with the "Date" test. A "Date" cannot be "after 11/15/Y" AND "before 3/31/Y" it has to be one OR the other.

Did I get it?
                  Ken

Comment

Righteroo. If I had an HS TeeShirt, I'd send it to you.

Now, perhaps you can tell me why this trigger has never worked either:
                    The temperature range would be my first choice over dates.

Device: Weather Station Environment Station Temperature value is in the range -50..0

This trigger seems to work for positive temperatures, but not negative. I've just assumed an HS bug but never mentioned it.

I'd have preferred a condition " Value < x " but it isn't available.

Comment

Wadenut,

If you did a cut-n-paste of the trigger then the problem is with the range definition. You have a range of -50..0 but there needs to be three dots between the numbers. (-50...0) At least that's what worked on my system when I tested it.

If that was just a typo then we'll have to look a little deeper.

Ken

Comment

Well gag me with a spoon. I need bi-focals! You're right.

This'll work.

Condition
                        Device: Weather Station Environment Station Temperature value is in the range -50...0
                        AND
                        Device: System Control Alarm Clock Mode is Working
                        AND
                        Device: System Status Active Mode has been ON for exactly 1 hours and 0 minutes

Boy! Do I feel like a wuffo.
                        Last edited by Wadenut; November 26, 2008, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I had to use the screen magnifier function to be sure. Getting old sucks!

Wuffo - Haven't heard that since my hang-gliding days. Had to give it up when the recovery time from the weekend starting taking longer than 5 days.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                            Speaking of the DOH! snake.

I've struggled with this one for months, and the solution just now sneaked up from behind and clubbed me in the head. It's supposed to trigger once in the morning, so each time I'd look at it for a bit then go do something else because I couldn't see the problem.

Group 1
                            Device: System Status Active Mode has been ON for exactly 1 hours and 0 minutes AND
                            Device: System Control Alarm Clock Mode is Working AND
                            Date is after 11/15/Y AND
                            Date is before 3/31/Y

This event is supposed to start the car on cold mornings, but never worked until I made one simple change... Anyone want to slap me?
                            I had an event exactly like this and it did not work either. So how do you do a date range using the Y wildcard? Will Y+1 work?

Steve Q
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Steve,

In the above example you can exclude a range or include a range:

To Trigger between 11/15/Y and 3/31/Y (the following year) you would still use:

"Date is After 11/15/Y" OR "Date is Before 3/31/Y"

At the year end "Y" automatically increments so you don't need to worry about "Y+1" in the range.

To Trigger between 3/31/Y and 11/15/Y you would use:

"Date is After 3/31/Y" AND "Date is Before 11/15/Y"

It may help to draw it on a timeline so you can visualize what is happening.

Hopefully this makes sense,
                              Ken

PS. Post your specific situation and we'll help you craft the event.

Comment

Working...
                              X