How to assign HS event to RemoteLinc button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to assign HS event to RemoteLinc button

I can't seem to find out how to link a HS event to a RemoteLinc button. I'd like to set up a "scene" that will set various lights and lamps to certain levels based on a button press. I have 4 buttons linked directly to devices (#1 to a LampLinc, #2 to a LampLinc, #3 to a SwitchLinc, #4 to a SwitchLinc Relay). I want button #5 to dim device 1 and 2 to 50%, turn #3 and #4 off. I see references in the link tables to the buttons that are linked but can't determine how to link TO a button. I've linked the RemoteLinc to HS successfully but it only shows as 1 device - don't see any resolution down to the button level.

Thanks in advance.

HowTo Assign RemoteLinc Buttons

HowTo Assign Buttons, SmartHome Labs RemoteLinc

1/ Ensure you have recent versions of the Insteon Plug-in *and* the SmartHome
    Device Manager (SDM). Carefully follow the plugins' instructions and check that
    these are installed OK. Gracefully exit out of HS and reboot. This is important.
    If you are updating through the updater, you may have to uninstall the SDM
    through AddRemove Programs in Windows, then reinstall. The SDM installer
    is in the HomeSeer directory tree, or you can get it online.
    2/ Go into the Insteon Configuration, 'Tap-Add' a device. While the pugin is in its
    configuration/waiting mode, push button 1 ON on the RemoteLinc. You should
    see the white LED flash on the RemoteLinc. The Insteon config should show that
    the plugin has found the device, but if you were to look at the device, you would
    only see that it has one button; that is why Step 3 is so important. If the Insteon
    tap-add does not work, exit out of the Tap-Add dialog (hit Continue) and exit out of
    HomeSeer completely; then restart HomeSeer. Remove the batteries from the
    RemoteLinc, wait about 10 sec, then replace. Now repeat this Step 2.
    3/ Go into the Insteon Configuration, choose the RemoteLinc device > Edit Device,
    then choose 'Setup / Program Device For Use With HomeSeer'. You will see
    Now attempting to program your device for use with HomeSeer...
    >>> THIS IS THE TRICK -> Periodically push a RemoteLinc button until you hear the
    beep. You should the see the white LED flash repeatedly indicating traffic over
    the air interface (keep in mind, this is RF only). Keep on repeatedly pushing a
    button and watch for the flash. The 'Program Device' dialog will evetually move on to
    Now updating the link tables for your device... keep pushhing a botton at same pace
    you will then see: Your Insteon device has been programmed. Hit continue.
    You may have to try this step more than once.
    4/ Exit out of the Configuartion pages, hitting Save Changes, etc. When you go back into
    Edit the RemoteLinc device, you will now see that it has 6 buttons, assignable to
    events just like a ControLinc. You will see link entries similar to
    Link# 6 - Button 6 has local control reporting to HomeSeer you are goosd to go.

The trick is to repeatedly hit a button on the RemoteLinc while the Tap-Add or Programming actions are underway. For some reason (I am not an Insteon expert),
    communication needs to be initiated from the RemoteLinc perodically, else the
    protocol communication does not continue.

Comment

I can also see all six buttons on for the RemoteLinc in the Homeseer devices list and can see that pressing any of the buttons causes the PLC light to flash but no events can be invoked and there are no log entries when a RemoteLinc button is pressed.

Suggestions?

Comment

uh ha .... yes undeedee

Yes I am running into similar erratic problems and still trying to figure out what is going on. There seems to be some issue with the SmartHome Device Manager COM and its interaction with HomeSeer. HomeSeer states they only support the "Lighting Devices" (through the SDM) and others via the external devices script.

If I do funky things, I can get it to work. If I disable the Insteon Plugin and restart HS, while setting the PLC to default (clearing it), then re-enable the plug in I can often get it to work for a while.

I often get COM errors and I have been sending these in. I don't know what happens to those.

Comment

Working...
        X