Switched to XP and lost ALL com ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switched to XP and lost ALL com ports

OK, I've been running HS for a few years now without any problems. The machine I have it on runs my web server/Foxweb server and HS. It's W2KServer. I've also had HS on W2K.

A year or so ago I installed XP SP2. Had a problem getting it to recognize some of my USB devices so left it dual boot and used W2KServer.

Today, I screwed up Foxweb. Bad. It got terminally confused. I decided that the easiest solution was to use the XP boot. Well, that solved my Foxweb problem, but...

HS will not recognize any com ports at all. I'm using USB-Ser adapters. Plugged into a hub. When I unplug them, Device Manager sees them go away and plug back in, the reappear.

Com 4 ZTroller
    Com 5 DSC
    Com 6 Ocelot
    Com 7 RFID

Although they seem to be there, HS tells me it can't open the port. Ocelot times out trying to get info. Installed .net 3 and it didn't help. Neither did a reinstall.

Even going back to W2KServer had problems. It recognized my ports but informed me all my plugins couldn't be opened. Arrrgh

So now I'm sitting in the dark but at least have my web server. What can I do here?

John in the dark

I think i'm having something similar, I have three USB-Serial adaptors of the same make/model and one USB Temperature Logger which has a Serial port converter built into it.

Certainly whats happening to me is that even though the chipsets are different between the adaptors and temp reader, when the temp reader gets plugged in it actually uses the drivers for the adaptors - windows somehow gets confused, then they all decide to fall out and not play together anymore at all.

Try connecting each one, one by one and when you see it appear in device manager, check windows is actually using the correct drivers for what you have plugged in then slowly connect everything else.

Comment

Yeah. I tried that. One by one (because I never KNOW what port it'll be). They're all using the driver W2K used (Prolific).

It's just so odd. It worked great with W2K and XP just doesn't see a one of them. I'd love to install actual serial ports but I try to make it easy to switch machines if I need to. Ya know? Just move the cable for the hub...

The computer's telling me the temperature but it won't control any lights. Dang.

Comment

My experiences:
        USB to Serial converters often change COM numbers if moved from the exact USB hub and/or port when first installed.

The prior and dormant USB devices can be seen in the Windows XP Device Manager by choosing view hidden devices menu option.

I recall that you can uninstall/delete these old ones so the com ports go to unused status.

I cannot recall, but there is a way, to change the COM number if the USB adapters use the FTDI chipset and perhaps others.

I like the Edgeport 2, 4 and 8 port adapters because their software copes with all this properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
          Yeah. I tried that. One by one (because I never KNOW what port it'll be). They're all using the driver W2K used (Prolific).
          Whether its something to do with it or not, I had one prolific (PL-2303) usb adaptor and it never ever worked with windows xp - never knew why, although when you connect mine it says device not recognised so I imagine I destroyed the internals somehow.

Comment

Thanks but that doesn't seem to apply. The ports are there. If I'm in Device Manager and unplug one it goes away. Replug and it appears. It's just HS that doesn't recognize them.

Computers used to come with 2 serial ports. Now one is rare. I KNOW there are other people out there with XP and USB-Ser adapters. I don't know what the heck's going on here.

Comment

Im leaning toward the usb/serials are there just now have the com numbers reassigned. Like Stevech said.

The port is plugged in the same place it is in the hub but because of the change to xp it was reassigned to a diff comm port number. You might have to reset the comm assignments in HS after you figure what is what.

Later, Terry

Comment

I just had to move my HS installation to a new computer and setting up the serial interfaces was the most trying part. Fortunately I didn't have exactly the problem you are seeing, but two thoughts you might try:
                1. In the Properties/Port Settings/Advanced screen for the serial ports in Device Manager try deliberately selecting the desired port number for each device, then reboot and confirm the port settings.
                2. Re-download all plug-ins that use serial ports, then restart HS.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Well, I ended up putting it on another machine. Every time I tried to rename a port I saw that most under 15 were in use. Somehow XP got them open and wouldn't let go.

Now I have a bunch of headaches but I have most of my stuff back. At least I'm not sitting in the dark.

In fact, I think there's JUST enough light to see a rum & coke.

Thanks all
                  John

Comment

Every time I tried to rename a port I saw that most under 15 were in use. Somehow XP got them open and wouldn't let go.
                    I've seen that too. In desperation I tried assigning them again anyway, since there was nothing actually using the ports, despite what the OS thought. Although I got a warning message, the reassignment worked (in all cases) and I've had no problems with the ports.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                    X