Anyone for Forth ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone for Forth ?

I was just reminiscing with myself. I do that sometimes when the voices are quiet.
    Does anyone remember an old computer language called FORTH? I played with it in the late seventies/early eighties.
    It was a structured, stack-based interpreter. The basic implementation came with extremely basic functions +,-,*,/,AND,OR...
    From these one could build a library of higher, ever more complex functions, each built on those previously developed.
    It occurs to us, er I mean me, that if such a thing could be implemented in HS, some very complex triggers could be built for use in many events and be represented with a single line.

Any thoughts?
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

wow - that brings back memories for me too. I remember Forth from the middle 80's I think. As I recall, it was both interpretive and could be compiled. I hope I never see it again!

Comment

You mean you think our, er I mean my idea is mad?

Comment

Why not use VB? It's supported and easy and modern.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Wadenut, I don't think that the idea is mad.... I just don't have fond memories of Forth. Although I must admit that I don't remember much of the language..... as Rupp said, can't you use VB for all the logic?

Comment

I think Forth is a great language. It was used often for artificial intelligence programming. It is completely unlike VB, and I know of very little in common between the two.

Comment

I do not beleive this. FORTH!, It was a great media. I, of course are far to young to know about Forth.

I think, Sir, you should become a member of The Old Farts Club, HS prefer The Elerly Gentlemans Club.

Have a read and share your memories.
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                You mean you think our, er I mean my idea is mad?
                You got a mouse in your pocket?
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                  Only in a Windmill in Old Amsterdam.
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Hmmm.... happy old days........ lol

http://cgibin.erols.com/ziring/cgi-b...ep.pl?_alpha=f
                    http://www.forth.org/

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                      I just thought he was talking about his multiple personalities.

Any IBM'ers out there remember REXX?

Ken

Comment

In fact, we are legion (Ian will get that one)
                        No, not really.

I'm glad someone remembers FORTH. Actually, I think I still have an interpreter/compiler for Windows somewhere on a disk.
                        Perhaps I ought not mention experience with Modula II, Pascal, and going way back, Fortran (never learned Cobol however). I remember submitting punched cards to process my simple Fortran programs on the PDP11 at the university, and then biking across town to pick up my printouts the next day.
                        Once, I wrote a little Basic program (on a teletype terminal connected to the mainframe with a 300 baud accoustic coupler modem) to print a picture of Snoopy on the main line printer. The system manager called a few minutes after I ran it, to let me know it had worked... right in the middle of their payroll run. He wasn't happy, although I was rather proud of myself. The line printer wasn't generally accessable unless one had come across a copy of the system operating manual. I still have that program on a piece of punched paper tape.

Comment

Then Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" He replied, "My name is Legion; for we are many."

Comment

I always thought "Forth" was a great American Icon.

Geez, you guys even named your national Holiday after it !

The Forth of July !

Ok I'm outta here, I forgot that I have to iron my shoe laces...

Comment

Do-you-want-to-play-a-game?
                              Attached Files

~Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X