Search function does not work as expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search function does not work as expected

I must be missing something very simple - when I search for a long string, within quotes, I get back results that are much (much) broader than what I am looking for.

For example, when I search for "
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object", and I enclose this phrase in quotes, I get back results that include ANY word within the phrase, rather than ALL words within the phrase.

Am I doing something wrong?

yeah, it is something that has been discussed at length here on the board. most of use have given up and just use google. enter

site:board.homeseer.com your search words here

and it works for ya. Jon00 made a little something to drop into your HS page that searches the board via google for ya, if you're interested in that, you could search for it :-)
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

It might be time for HS to consider upgrading their vBulletin board. Other vBulletin sites I use have added a google search option to their search pages - REALLY make searching easier.
      HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
      79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
      Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
      Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

word!

but I'd make it a lesser priority than getting Vista MCE and JRiver out of Beta and fixing 2.3

:-)
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I didn't think about using Google search this way (limiting to the board) and I also didn't search the forum for prior discussions on this topic. Sorry about that, and thanks for your help. I will simply use Google ...

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
            I didn't think about using Google search this way (limiting to the board) and I also didn't search the forum for prior discussions on this topic. Sorry about that, and thanks for your help. I will simply use Google ...
            No problem, I do that too from time to time
            Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
              word!

but I'd make it a lesser priority than getting Vista MCE and JRiver out of Beta and fixing 2.3

:-)
              yeah, I'd rather see 2.3 fixed, too - WAF is the lowest it's ever been
              HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
              79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
              Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
              Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Well, we improved the message board search option a little bit today. You can now do a search on words with just 3 characters (the minimum used to be 4). So, doing a search on UPB (for example) will now find posts!
                Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

Thanks - every little bit helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X