Problems with replacement floodlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with replacement floodlights

I recently had a floodlight burn out so I went to the store and found a 90w replacement with 9 yr lifetime and 67w usage. It is way brighter than the old one. I has a curling fluorescent buld inside the traditional cone shaped floodlight casing. I like dit so much I went and bought three more to replace both sets of floodlights, front and back.

Just one problem: the lights don't respond to X10 signals from the handle remote of the HomeSeer program. They do work if you hold the button in on the light switch module. I have tried repeating the On command several times to no avail.

Any ideas, suggestions, solutions? Total cost so far < $50 for the lights. Are there other X10 light switches that can activate the lights or do I just need to get standard floodlights? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the newest problem with Home Automation and these compact flo's. X10 switches require power to flow through the light to work properly and these bulbs do not do this. Hopefully others will chime in and list some known switch's that will work in this situation.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What kind of wall switch

Are you using the standard ws-467 wall switch? If so, I am amazed that you can get the lights to work at all. The ws-467 is a dimmer type switch and not even close to be able to work with compact flourescents. You need a wall switch that has a relay. The ws467 only has 2 leads and gets it power through the load. The better switches have a neutral wire and get their power through that. You can use a x10 pro switch or a switch from smarthome.

Comment

What kind of wall switch?

Are you using the standard ws-467 wall switch? If so, I am amazed that you can get the lights to work at all. The ws-467 is a dimmer type switch and not even close to be able to work with compact flourescents. You need a wall switch that has a relay. The ws467 only has 2 leads and gets it power through the load. The better switches have a neutral wire and get their power through that. You can use a x10 pro switch or a switch from smarthome.

Comment

well this has been my delema too...

I bought 2 x10 floodlights... pr511 I think?

anyway... they work great... there is a standard light switch that goes to 1 of them....
          then I had 2 standard bulbs...

my bro bought probably the same bulbs as you and I wanted to test them out... well guess what ... yes I too cannot get them to work...

however I did the math.. If no one ever trips my back floodlight.. then light is off and using 0 watts... so I just deal with standard bulbs.....

now I am eventually going to start going z-wave... but I too have a delema... the ha20c does not like CF bulbs.... well guess what... I have CF bulbs all over and my light switches, app modules, lamp modules, etc.....
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Philips Marathon Dimmables!

Hi all -

I've been using dimmable Phillips Marathon CF Floods very successfully with X10. My switches are Smarthome switchlinc's, but I am not sure that THAT is the reason these are working...I think it has more to do with the bulbs. Here's a great thread on the topic of CF's and X10:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=118198

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              now I am eventually going to start going z-wave... but I too have a delema... the ha20c does not like CF bulbs.... well guess what... I have CF bulbs all over and my light switches, app modules, lamp modules, etc.....
              I have a lot of CF bulbs and I found that the Z-Wave Sylvania dimming modules seem to work just fine with them. I dont know if I got lucky with the brand of CF (cant remember who makes it) or if the Sylvania Z-Wave modules act better with CF.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

back on x10 topic.....

but still I believe the x10 side can be doable except for floodlights... maybe a certain floodlight cf bulb may work but it would take time trying and different ones to try..

I tried 1 outside style bulb.... didnt try the curley cue style just for sakes... maybe I will try that this weekend...
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Philips Marathon Dimmables ARE Floodlights!

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                  back on x10 topic.....

but still I believe the x10 side can be doable except for floodlights... maybe a certain floodlight cf bulb may work but it would take time trying and different ones to try..

I tried 1 outside style bulb.... didnt try the curley cue style just for sakes... maybe I will try that this weekend...
                  As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been using dimmable Phillips Marathon CF Floods very successfully with X10. Just wanted to clarify that they indeed ARE floodlights.

Ed

Comment

Yes, standard X10 wallswitch LM467 I believe

Thanks for the feedback guys. My wife loves the brightness of the CF floodlights, but the HomeSeer program just won't control the lights, nor will any of the wireless devices. They can be operated using the wall switch.

If I were to get a different wallswitch, would that do the job? Does z-wave require an separate interface or controller device to operate the wall switch.

Comment

my experience has been positive...

Originally posted by whlatimer331 View Post
                      Thanks for the feedback guys. My wife loves the brightness of the CF floodlights, but the HomeSeer program just won't control the lights, nor will any of the wireless devices. They can be operated using the wall switch.

If I were to get a different wallswitch, would that do the job? Does z-wave require an separate interface or controller device to operate the wall switch.
                      I am using the following
                      • x10 switches: Switchlinc 2380W from Smarthome
                      • CF floods: Philips Marathon Dimmable CF Floodlights

and I get 100% reliability controlling them via HomeSeer.

I am starting to implement some ZWave, but I do not have any ZWave switches controlling CF bulbs, so I cannot comment on that, but it should work also...You Would indeed need a ZWave controller connected to your HomeSeer box. The Z-troller looks like the best, but it came out after I already had a HomePro Zwave controller...

Ed

Comment

I've had two PR511's on the house for nearly 20 years now. They both worked fine (well, acceptably) until I decided to try a CFL flood bulb (GE).
                        I installed one CFL bulb to see if it would provide sufficient light.
                        With one CFL and one regular floodlight, I was able to turn on the lights using X10, but never could turn it off. The CFL had to go.
                        The good news is, when I mentioned this to GE customer service, they sent me a coupon for $25; a bit more than the price of the bulb.
                        The bad news is, now the PR511 doesn't work at all, neither via X10 nor by motion.
                        The replacement PR511 I had to order arrived today.
                        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                        X