No announcement yet.

Oil Tank Monitor - Fuel level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need a device that has a "4-20mA" input. An Ocelot with the right module would work fine and there are two plug-in's available for HS. I have one of these Madison sensors and am planning to connect it using an Ocelot.

Alternatively you could use any device with an A/D input and convert the variable current into a voltage with a precision resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
      You need a device that has a "4-20mA" input. An Ocelot with the right module would work fine and there are two plug-in's available for HS. I have one of these Madison sensors and am planning to connect it using an Ocelot.

Alternatively you could use any device with an A/D input and convert the variable current into a voltage with a precision resistor.
      How much are these devices, I couldn't find any pricing informaton on their site.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        How much are these devices, I couldn't find any pricing informaton on their site.
        My mistake - I thought they offered a module like this. You would have to use one of their A/D modules with a precision resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
          My mistake - I thought they offered a module like this. You would have to use one of their A/D modules with a precision resistor.
          I'm talking about the actual "slide sensor".
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You will need to ask for a quote. The one I bought was over $100. It depends entirely on the length of the sensor, accuracy specification required for the sensor, length of the attached cable, and whether or not it's designed for use in harsh chemicals, dirty water, etc. If I remember right, some of them are made of pure stainless steel while others are not, for example.

Comment

Another option is to use a flowmeter with a pulsed output... and use something like an RFXMeter wireless device to get the data back to HS (if you use wireless, like RFXCOM for example).

I am going to implement this solution, and I will also need to modify the oil feed to the burner, since now I have a return line sending excess oil to the tank. If I leave it like this, then the measurement from the flowmeter is not accurate, as it does not subtract any oil sent back. For this, I will be placing a device called a TigerLoop, and placing the flowmeter upstream of it on the feed line.

If you want to know more about it, let me know.

Cheers
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548| Plug-Ins Enabled: Sonos 3.1.0.57, RFXCOM 30.0.0.45, X10 3.0.0.62, IPThermostat 3.4.5.0, Pushover 3P 0.0.0.54, Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206, Z-Wave 3.0.10.0, BLML2HS 2.0.28.0, mcsMQTT 6.12.4.0, Insteon 3.0.7.19​​ | Win 7 32-bit | Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86GHz 4GB RAM

Comment

Working...
              X