Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote access

Hi all,
    just wondering how many of us aussies are accessing homeseer from remote locations via the www. And if you are who is your internet service provider bcause im having no luck with optus cable.Homeseer works on all lan computers however i have no luck from outside home.Have a router and its set to forward all port 80 requests to the homeseer sever.Any help would be appreciated thanks,
    Niko

When I was on optus cable, they blocked port 80 and port 25. Have you tried changing the port number homeseer listens on to 51000 of something like that.

Ross.

Comment

Niko,

I run optus ADSL, same thing port 25 and 80 are blocked as Ross indicated.

Ross is right, just change your port number that the homeseer server runs on to another number.

Then the important bit here is when you go to access your site from the web you need to type in your web address as the following http://your ip:your port number e.g if you run your web server on port 12000 and your ip address was 104.10.200.50 you would need to type the following into your web browser http://104.10.200.50:12000 to access your site.

Also be aware of course your ip address will randomly change as optus allocate IP address using DHCP which will time out, changing your address. There are ways around this. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Nick.

Comment

thanks for the reply guys. ive changed my port to 443 and will try this over the weekend. If it doesnt work ill try a big number like you both have suggested,
        Niko

Comment

Nick,

Put me down for that more info. I've been using Remote Desktop Connection on my LAN to access other PCs from my laptop but have yet to do it via the web. Soundz like this would definitely be the GO.
          Could you elaborate or post a link outlining the process for the clinically backward here.

Comment

Changed my port to 443.Remote access now works a ok
            Niko

Comment

Originally posted by Humphrey
              Nick,

Put me down for that more info. I've been using Remote Desktop Connection on my LAN to access other PCs from my laptop but have yet to do it via the web. Soundz like this would definitely be the GO.
              Could you elaborate or post a link outlining the process for the clinically backward here.
              Sorry all for long delay on this.

The way to deal with changing IP's is to get a free domain name from one of the companies like www.dyndns.org . Lets say get a free DNS address like test1.mine.nu that address is what you use to access your site as the url stays contant even though the IP address is contantly changing.

What you need to support the above is either a modem/router that supports updating of DYNDNS or one of the other dynamic DNS services. Another option is to use free firewall software like smoothwall. ( this is an excelent firewall ) This is a very easy firewall to setup and installs from a CD. You can get the iso image from the smoothwall site www.smoothwall.org.

The way it all works is that as you IP address from your ISP changes the router or firewall senses the address has changed and send an update to your dynamic DNS service and tells the DNS system that hosts domain record of test1.mine.nu what your new IP address is. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Hi Guys,

ref Scotts post below.

I use www.no-ip.com. They have a little program that ya keep running, that updates the no-ip mob when ya IP changes.

I dont need the program, because my router, as Scott wrote, supports auto update to no-ip whenever my assigned IP changes.

One thing with No.ip (and may be same with others - havent tried them), is you can also set port forwarding. SO, you can have myname.no-ip.info autodirect to www.yourisp.com/youortaddress

eg, instead of moby58.no-ip.com:51000, I just set up so that all requests to moby58.no-ip.com are forwarded to port 51000 at my server. Dont have to remember to add the :51000

Two things I found.
                iiNet blocked port 80, but I could unblock it.
                my work blocks ALL ports not required for standard web work, so cant access it on anything but port 80

Originally posted by nscott
                Sorry all for long delay on this.

The way to deal with changing IP's is to get a free domain name from one of the companies like www.dyndns.org . Lets say get a free DNS address like test1.mine.nu that address is what you use to access your site as the url stays contant even though the IP address is contantly changing.

What you need to support the above is either a modem/router that supports updating of DYNDNS or one of the other dynamic DNS services. Another option is to use free firewall software like smoothwall. ( this is an excelent firewall ) This is a very easy firewall to setup and installs from a CD. You can get the iso image from the smoothwall site www.smoothwall.org.

The way it all works is that as you IP address from your ISP changes the router or firewall senses the address has changed and send an update to your dynamic DNS service and tells the DNS system that hosts domain record of test1.mine.nu what your new IP address is. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

To update my dynamic IP address I use DirectUpdate (available from www.directupdate.net). It runs as a service and it supports multiple dynamic dns service providers, including no-ip.com (full list at www.directupdate.net/services.html).

Comment

Originally posted by ccastillo
                    To update my dynamic IP address I use DirectUpdate (available from www.directupdate.net). It runs as a service and it supports multiple dynamic dns service providers, including no-ip.com (full list at www.directupdate.net/services.html).
                    OK. I am speaking out of order here, is that not a tradition with the Brits!

This is a 100% not HomeSeer, hoever, I am curios.

Can you not request the dynamic name you would like?

My dynamic mane is "travelco.org.uk" it is hosted by an unknowm company called British Telecoms, or at least one of there leachers.

I chose that name, it was not on a list to delect from, are thing different in the "old colony" (HomeSeer STILL do not have a tounge in cheek avater)
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Here in the colonies we can buy a domain name that is not in use. My domain is "the-gordons.net" (the reson for the "-' is because the name "thegordons.net" was in use).

I then chose a service to host my domain name. By that I mean manage the DNS visibility of my domain name. In the states (we are past the colonies stage - right?) some ISP's periodically change the assigned IP address for a broadband connection. My domain name services provider monitors that change and makes the necessary changes in the Authoritive DNS server that they use for my domain name. In this way my domain name is always associated with the IP address of my house as provided by the ISP.

In addition all my mail is directed to my domain name (barry@the-gordons.net) and the domain service people handle that too. They redirect (forward) the mail to the mailbox (smtp/pop servers) supplied by my current ISP. That gives me ISP independence. If I don't like them I switch and my mail address is adjusted behind the scenes. In effect it never changes unless I want it to

Hope that answers the mail

Comment

Answered perfectly, thanks Barry.
                        sigpic
                        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                        X