Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The right way to interlink devices (turning Dev#1 turns Dev#2 and visa versa)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The right way to interlink devices (turning Dev#1 turns Dev#2 and visa versa)?

Here is a simplified example.
    I have a virtual device (A94) that has three modes (Off, Slow and Fast). This device should represent two z-wave modules (Z01 and Z02).
    A94 Off = Z01 Off + Z02 Off
    A94 Off = Z01 Off + Z02 On
    A94 Slow = Z01 On + Z02 Off
    A94 Fast = Z01 On + Z02 On

I will be using both virtual (through HS interface) and physical devices (manually/by remote control) to turn them on/off.

What is the right way to interlink these devices to keep their status current all the time?
    I am afraid that using events/conditions will be too cumbersome especially if I have more modes and more devices like this.
    Is there a chance to let a single script handle this?

Thank you, Alex

I assume that since A94 has only 3 states, but the On/Off combinations of Z01 and Z02 sum to 4 that the ambiguity around A94 Off is deliberate.

The first thing you will have to do is define dependency. That is, which device/state determines the other. For instance, as you've defined it, it is impossible for A94 to unambiguously determine the states of Z01 and Z02. Is it your intention to use the states of Z01 and Z02 to determine the state of A94 only? If not, what do you expect to happen to Z02 when you turn A94 off? Perhaps a bit more explanation for what you want to accomplish would be useful.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The first thing you will have to do is define dependency...
      Thank you, Uncle Michael.<O</O

As I expected, creating events for just one of my virtual fan (pushing air upstairs) was tedious work and it that took me hours to fine-tune the whole set of 6 events. Once, I ran in a problem when HS got overloaded trying to keep up with devices updating each other's status in rounds and rounds and rounds.

<O</O
      Thank you, Alex
      Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not able to discern from this what is the nature of the task. Can you describe the role each of the three devices plays? In particular, what are Z01 and Z02? Are they manually activated or connected to something else?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yes, minutes after I sent my reply I realized I should have given more info..

Here is the schematics I use.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think I'd approach this problem somewhat differently. I'd begin by 'controlling' the virtual fan device directly. That is, I'd choose a fan state first. Once the fan state is selected, then it should be straightforward to control the switches with events.

For example, selecting fan off would trigger an event that would set Z01 and Z02 to Off. Selecting On Fast would trigger an event that would set Z01 and Z02 to On. And On Slow would trigger an event that would set Z01 On and Z02 Off.

What am I missing?

Comment

I totally agree.
              That would be the best way - to control only the virtual Fan and duplicate its status to the modules through events/condition. (In this case I would not bring my questions to the board.)

What if I use a remote control and turn the modules ON manually? The virtual device has to be updatedI am trying to find a way how to have both options - using of the remote control and HS interface alternately.

One of the solutions that looks almost perfect is to give up on the whole idea to constantly sync virtual Fan with modules but instead to assign to the buttons of my remote control direct commands to HS.

But this solution is not ideal for me because at some point I can have problems with my computer (virus, crash etc.) and in this case I would still need to be able to turn On/Off fans manually. So, controlling modules (no virtual fans) would be the only option.

I hope I was able to explain what I'm trying to acheve.
              Thanks again, Alex

Comment

Yes, I understand. Just keep in mind, it is your choice to make this problem so complex. As you have discovered, the scheme you are trying to implement is prone to instability.

It seems to me that, given the hardware you have, you can design the system for easy automation or dual control, but not both. You will either have to face the tedious task you describe in your first post for all similar instances, or make a choice to automate simply.

If it were my system, I'd automate it using as simple a scheme as possible. Only if the automation system breaks down, would I resort to manual control.

Comment

Comment

Alex,
                    Obviously, I think you are making the best choice, but I want to emphasize that it is just my opinion. You may still be correct that there is another solution.

Two thoughts have occurred to me since my last post.
                    1) If you implement a simple control system and then manually manipulate the switches to override the virtual device, clearly the virtual device state will no longer reflect the actual state of the fan. Aside from that, is there any other consequence? Do you intend to use the state of the device A94 in some other context?
                    2) You may be able to achieve what you originally intended with two virtual devices. Set up one to be a simple control device as I proposed. The second, call it A95, would be set to mirror the actual fan state based on the states of the two switches. (I assume they report their states.) You could then use the state of A95 to report actual fan state.

Comment

1)... Aside from that, is there any other consequence? Do you intend to use the state of the device A94 in some other context?
                      As of now, there are no side effects from this but I am just starting with setting up conditions/triggers. There might be mismatching and conflicts later on.
                      2) You may be able to achieve what you originally intended with two virtual devices. Set up one to be a simple control device as I proposed. The second, call it A95, would be set to mirror the actual fan state based on the states of the two switches. (I assume they report their states.) You could then use the state of A95 to report actual fan state.
                      I slept on it two more nights and even more convinced that system will eventually become unstable if I implement so complicated conditions/feedbacks at the very beginning.
                      I am going to use virt. fans to simplify HS interface further steps. There will be a couple of events that will be transferring the virtual fans states to the z-wave modules.
                      You are right, this is the best choice.
                      Thanks again, Alex

Comment

Working...
                      X