Open frontdoor with fingerprint scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open frontdoor with fingerprint scanner

it would be great to open the front door without a key.
    but, my front door is about 40 meter from my computer.
    since fingerprint readers are usb devices i have a problem.
    i can not use a 40 meter cable from the fingerprint scanner to my computer.
    there is a limit of 3 meter (i think) for usb cables, and also what is the point of using z-wave if we have to put cables thru the house.
    i can of course put a pc next to the front door, but that is esthetically not so nice.
    so HS goeroes how do i solve this problem ?

btw i would like to wich everyone a great year !!

lee

How about something like this: http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-over-ip-s...FYwh3godQFFXDQ
    Jon

Comment

I have used USB cables over 10 meters in the past without problems. I have done this for wireless adapters and webcams, I simply used a few usb extension cables.

Comment

Originally posted by madcooks View Post
        it would be great to open the front door without a key.
        but, my front door is about 40 meter from my computer.
        since fingerprint readers are usb devices i have a problem.
        i can not use a 40 meter cable from the fingerprint scanner to my computer.
        there is a limit of 3 meter (i think) for usb cables, and also what is the point of using z-wave if we have to put cables thru the house.
        i can of course put a pc next to the front door, but that is esthetically not so nice.
        so HS goeroes how do i solve this problem ?

btw i would like to wich everyone a great year !!

lee
        Z-Wave doesn't require "cables" it's a wireless technology. There's also a lot of information on this technology in the Finger Print Reader plugin forum. There are wireless USB extenders that some have used.
        http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=805
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Why don't you use an integrated biometric door lock ?

I know it's not computer controlled... but it does a darn good job. I bought one on ebay a year or so back and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Comment

ditto

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post

I know it's not computer controlled... but it does a darn good job. I bought one on ebay a year or so back and I'm very happy with my purchase.
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post

Which one did you buy? I have seen them at Home Depot......

Comment

i got this one several years ago, still working great (the reliability goes down when it gets below freezing outside, though)
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I got something very similar to this model (in appearance)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Weather-Proof-Key...1%7C240%3A1308

but not from this seller. I couldn't find the store where I bought it originally.

Mine works perfectly even in very low temperatures. Up here we get -30 Celsius once in a while in January and February and it never failed to work even at these temperatures.

I also like the sliding cover feature that protects the fingerprint reader from dirt and rain.

I did find however, that a number of things affect the recognition reliability. For example, if your skin is very dry like it's often the case in winter, the reader may have a hard time recognizing your fingerprint. Wetting my finger solves this problem...

Also (and this is more obvious)... If your finger is dirty or not inserted always the same way on the reader the recognition may be delayed or fail altogether, but then you just have to fix the problem and try again...
                  Last edited by fran_joel; January 7, 2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X