Whole house audio receiver and speakers help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    very easy, just cut a hole in the sheetrock using the template (be sure it's not near the studd/joist). Then the speaker just screws in and holds itself in place like the remodel boxes you can buy for adding an outlet somewhere.

the trick is running the speaker wire. what i did is take my 100' "fish tape" and push a heck of a lot of it through the hole, then when i went to the attic it was right there for me to hook the speaker wire to.

Excellent, thanks for the info. We've been looking for speakers for a few weeks - this was just the thread I was looking for.

Comment

Can someone please comment on the speakers on this site and let me know if they would be ok with the AB8SS? I will most likely be running 2 AB8SS switchers and about 12-13 speakers. Thx

http://fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopdis...all%20Speakers
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yes I was looking at the Pyle 6.5 and 8 inch speakers. The PDICS6 and PDICS8 speakers.
          I cannot find what the RMS rating is on them tho.
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

In the master bedroom I have two pairs of the rectangular type of Pyle speakers. One is in the master bathroom and the other in the main bedroom (so I really have 10 pairs of these currently installed). I have a vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom and was planning a couple of more speakers to create a surround sound environment. The current amplifier would be replaced by a surround sound amplifier. One thing I have noticed is the bass response in the master bedroom speakers is a bit excessive to the point of making the walls rattle a bit. I was thinking of putting in wall speaker enclosures in the master bedroom speakers - you might want to look at this option with your speaker setup. BTW remember purchasing these Pyle speakers a while ago (3-4 years ago) from someone on Ebay at a decent price providing I purchased them by the case - so purchased two cases of these speakers (think I have a couple of pairs left still). They are easy to install. The speaker back bracket is what holds the speaker frame in the wall. The speaker attaches to this bracket with 6 screws then a screen mesh fits over the speaker frame. I also put in digital volume controls (Leviton) which control the volume from the AB8SS to each of the speakers. These volume controls default to "off" if there is a power loss. In addition to the living room speakers I prewired for a pair of speakers in the garage. These speakers are setup up in much the same fashion as the master BR speakers with an AB switch for a separate amplifier in the garage. For HS sound I am splitting these off the living room speakers. I do have a loss of volume with the master bath speakers using HS split off of the master bedroom. I probably should have purchased two AB8SS's knowing that I would eventually add more than 8 pairs of speakers.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I opted to go with the Nuvo Essentia, a bit pricey but I have not regretted spending the money in the least bit. It has been installed now 3.5 years and we use it every single day of the week. Each room has a keypad for local control and then I use the Mainlobby plugin and can control the rooms remotely via touch screen or HS. It just flat out works and sounds good. For TTS I opted to put a third speaker in the ceiling in each room and control them with an AB8SS and an 11 module ESS which is also mainlobby/HS controllable. The Russound is also a nice unit and it has a paging feature that you can use for TTS. I use a McIntosh MC50 50 watt monoblock for TTS.
              Over The Hill
              What Hill?
              Where?
              When?
              I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                I am looking at getting some ceiling speakers for the house. I am looking at these speakers as I have heard good things about them:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-402

I appreciate any feedback. TIA

Thank for bringing these to my attention. We bought three pairs as a test after reading this thread, and we love them. They do sound good - they're the best $15 dollar speakers I've ever purchased.

If you're not in for super high-end, these could be the way to go!

Brian

Comment

Can someone tell me if this is possible?

I currently have two receivers (one for music and one for TTS). I have 2 AB8SS switchers.

Here is what I would like to do. Please tell me if this will work.

I would like to take the speakers from the music receiver to input A on both AB8SS switchers. So input A on both AB8SS switchers would play music to all speakers on both switchers.

I would then like to take the speakers from the TTS receiver to input B on both AB8SS switchers to do the same with the TTS.

This way I only have to switch the input on both AB8SS switchers to A to hear music and to B to hear TTS.

Is this possible to have one receiver take 2 sets of speaker wires to 2 AB8SS inputs?

Thx
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

The only issue I see doing that is the impedance matching would be thrown off when you turn on both units together and connect the amplifier to both sets of speakers. It wouldn't bother me too much doing that for TTS since that's only short bursts of power from the amp driving the speakers but with music for much much longer periods of time would be different it would be a different story.
                    Marty
                    ------
                    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                      Would this stereo receiver power up to 12-13 pairs of speakers using the AB8SS. I realize I will need 2 AB8SS switchers. Just wondering if the receiver would be enough. I cannot seem to find receivers anymore that are more than 100W for 2 channels.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0047013&catid=

I have this receiver and use it to power my whole house audio (4 rooms - 8 speakers) - works fine. But I never crank the volume so I don't know what happens at high power levels. Sony stuff does have overload protection so I think the worst that will happen is that it will shut down if too much power is being drawn. ( I have this problem all the time on my surround sound system during loud LFE sound effects movies).

I use IR to control the volume of the reciever the reliability is 100%. I considered volume controls in each room but gave up on that idea after considering how much work it would be to install them. It is just not worth the effort.

Steve Q
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I am wondering if you I can use the speakers A and B on the receiver and take receiver speaker A to AB8SS #1 input A and receiver speaker B to AB8SS #2 input A
                        Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

I think this will work but I'm not sure you will gain anything other than the ability to manually switch off speakers A or speakers B. Does not give you any additional automation of the zones.

Steve Q
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

The problem is that I have 14 speakers around the house and therefore need to use 2 AB8SS switchers.

What it would give me is the ability to have my music go thru one amp (using speakers A and B on the amp) to input A on both AB8SS switchers. This lets me just use one amp for music and another amp for TTS.
                            Instead of having to use 2 amps (one input for music and one input for TTS) and then having to switch the input on the amp to music or TTS. Now all I would have to switch is the input on the AB8SS switchers (A for music and B for TTS).
                            Cheers,
                            Bob

Comment

Not sure I understand how the A, B switches make any difference. If you have an amp without A and B outputs, you would just connect 2 sets of speaker wires to the amp outputs. One set goes to switch ab8ss #1 the other set goes to ab8ss #2. The A and B switches on the amp just give you the ability to switch off one set (zone) of speakers. You cannot send different sounds to A and B. What am I missing?

Steve Q

Comment

I will have both speakers A and B on at the same time on the amp and that way the sound gets sent to input A on both AB8SS switchers. So with one amp running music and the other amp running TTS I would just need to switch the input on the AB8SS switchers
                                Cheers,
                                Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X