AB8SS woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AB8SS woes

OK I moved my AB8SS over to my HS machine. I use a MOXA C168H/PCI 8 port serial board in my HS machine and currently have no issue running my netcallerid box, W800, TEMP08, UPB and CM11A. When I add the AB8SS to it then the AB8SS control does not work properly.

If I connect the AB8SS to my test HS machine com port which is on the motherboard it works perfectly.

Does anyone have any ideas why the MOXA is giving me issues?
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Blade,

I'm guessing you already know this, but... The AB8SS uses some very primative serial comms (bit-banging), and doesn't do any handshaking. Is it possible your PCI board is trying to enforce some DTR / CTS handshaking?

Steve

Comment

I have a similar problem with my weather station. All of my other devices work with my Edgeport 8 but the weather station. There must be a small inconsistency with the drivers is the only explanation I can come up with.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Since I have no remaining PCI (white) slots on my computer I need to go with a card with the small black PCI slot.
        I found this card that will fit in my computer. Can someone tell me if this would work with the AB8SS?

http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2S95...6550-UART.aspx
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

Maybe this one would work as well. Where is Ray when you need him!

http://www.startech.com/item-specs/P...6550-UART.aspx
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Bob,

I'm not sure if you didn't see my comment, or if you decided it didn't really apply. Simply throwing different boards at it probably won't help if the problem is the handshaking. I'm not saying it is, but I just want to make sure you saw my comment / question.

Also, when you say it works or doesn't work: Are you talking about using Ray's software, your new plug-in, or some other package?

Steve

Comment

I am using an edgeport with my ab8ss and ESS, no issues
              Over The Hill
              What Hill?
              Where?
              When?
              I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Hum... wonder why mine will not work? It works fine on the on board serial port though.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I used an ab8ss on an edgeport (that same unit, actually, Blade). Have you tried using the HACS AB8ss utility to communicate with it?
                  Plugins:
                  BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I am using my plugin and it works on my test server with the onboard serial port but the MOXA seems to not like it. The weird thing is that for a few minutes the MOXA was working fine and now it will not control it but if I put it back on my test machine it works 100%
                    This is driving me nuts
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

OK this makes no sense to me.
                      I just installed the HACS utility and it works 100% using the MOXA board.
                      OK I have to admit I am totally confused now.
                      Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

I hate to just keep repeating the same thing, but...

I tell you, it is the brittle comms that the AB8SS uses, and/or some handshaking that the driver / board is defaulting to.

I'm pretty sure that Ray didn't use a UART in the AB8SS, keeping it cheap. Instead, I think the little PIC processor he uses just checks the serial line each time around a the loop. Obviousy picking up a particular character means that the bits need to come in just right. When I wrote my script to manage the AB8SS (I think it is still in the library subforum somewhere), I spent a very long time working to try and get the timing just right. I wrote the script for my brother, and although it works nearly all the time, the AB8SS reports some error in the comms about half the time (and takes the action anyway). I don't know what Ray did special within his little app to deal with it, but it is very hard to get it right.

Steve

P.S. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will get it working Bob: I want to ditch my little script on my brother's set up and use your plug-in.

Comment

OK I rewrote the com interface in the plugin and it is now working with my MOXA board. At least I am getting somewhere.
                          Cheers,
                          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                            OK I rewrote the com interface in the plugin and it is now working with my MOXA board. At least I am getting somewhere.
                            Yea!!

Comment

FINALLY!!!

I now have BLAB8SS fully controlling 2 AB8SS switchers from about 100 feet away from the HS machine.
                              I tested everything I could think of and it worked 100% on both of them.

I will be releasing the new BLAB8SS (build 1.0.7.0) plugin on my web site soon for people to try. Please try it out and let me know how it works out.

UPDATE: New build has been released.
                              Last edited by Blade; January 23, 2009, 07:12 PM.
                              Cheers,
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X