Schlage link Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlage link Bridge

Yea folks the long awaited Z-wave door lock is here.
    But the only controller in the world that will work it is the Schlage link Bridge. It does not control Thermostats , Motion sensor, door sensors.
    It seems to filter them out.
    Here we go again.
    This time from a multi- million dollar company.
    Any Class action Lawyers out there.
    Do I hear Logitech.................................................... ..............
    Last edited by ; January 30, 2009, 12:41 PM.

Originally posted by sparky101 View Post
    Yea folks the long awaited Z-wave door lock is here.
    But the only controller in the world that will work it is the Schlage link Bridge. It's A plie of dung. It does not control Thermostats , Motion sensor, door sensors.
    It seems to filter them out.
    Here we go again with a company that is falsly advertising.
    This time from a multi- million dollar company.
    Any Class action Lawyers out there.
    Do I hear Logitech.................................................... ..............
    From what I understand they are using their own flavor of the protocol and a different Zwave chip than most of the other Zwave devices on the market. They had to incorporate security into the protocol.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MStan View Post
      From what I understand they are using their own flavor of the protocol and a different Zwave chip than most of the other Zwave devices on the market. They had to incorporate security into the protocol.

Mark
      Not quite .
      Yes they are using the Newer 400 series chip for the lock. This is necessary for the power savings. Possible also for the encryption.

Let me tell all you folks the Lock itself is a Great product and a great addition to the Zwave product line. It works great. You can change the user codes remotely. So you can lock out the contractor when he is done at your house.

The Problem is with the Bridge as it is today.

Current light switches work
      They seem to filter out devices like Thermostats and Motion Sensors.

As far as the lock it is supposed to work with the new device class which is available to any member. Schlage is not allowing just anyone in the alliance to develop a controller for the lock as told to me by a schlage rep.
      Hopefully someone else will provide a controller to operate the Lock. Support for the lock is really needed as it's a great product.
      Last edited by ; January 30, 2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Mark (HS) flagged this as an issue back in the fall. I haven't read any customer account from anyone who's actually using the hardware so it's a little hard to guess how you might integrate it with HS.

My hope is that someone will develop a bridge from the Schlage link to HS ... I don't know if I care that my ZTroller won't control the locks, as long as I can build HS logic around the presumably simple binary states of a door lock.

Does anyone have the hardware up and running? Care to share any insight?

HS folks - have you guys seen a dev kit or anything else that might help you integrate?

This product would be one of the most significant additions to most of our systems (at least in my eyes) ... there has to be a solution to get it integrated!!!!!! (believe in the power of positive thinking) ;-)

Comment

The lock uses a new Z-Wave design class from a new library that is not installed in most Z-Wave controllers. Three things need to be considered. 1) The library must be installed in the controller (not trivial), 2) software must be updated to support the new design class and 3) there are liability issues involved with remote access to this kind of product. We do plan to support the lock but need to determine what level of support makes the most sense before moving ahead.

EDITED 02/02/2009 - 04:44 PM -
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            The lock uses a new Z-Wave design class from a new library that is not installed in most Z-Wave controllers. Three things need to be considered. 1) The library must be installed in the controller (not trivial), 2) software must be updated to support the new design class and 3) there are liability issues involved with remote access to this kind of product. We do plan to support the lock but need to determine what level of support makes the most sense before moving ahead.

EDITED 02/02/2009 - 04:44 PM -
            That's better news than I had expected.

Thanks Mark ... whatever we can do to help you move this up the priority ladder! ;-) ... Are you planning on carrying the locks as well? If so, as I always do ... I'll buy through HS. That's four deadbolt orders coming up.

Comment

The current Schlage bridge seems to be Primary only.
              As Mark may have implied it should not be a big deal to get the lock working in HS.

I have the lock and the lock itself is "great" product .
              I is Just a shame you currently need another controller in addition to the Schlage bridge to do all the other Zwave stuff it we are all acustom to.
              Currently it does not work with
              Motion snesors
              Door Sensors
              Themostats

Comment

Originally posted by richardfj View Post
                That's better news than I had expected.

Thanks Mark ... whatever we can do to help you move this up the priority ladder! ;-) ... Are you planning on carrying the locks as well? If so, as I always do ... I'll buy through HS. That's four deadbolt orders coming up.

I am in on this two, what ever it takes to help move this along.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sparky101 View Post
                  I have the lock and the lock itself is "great" product .
                  I've been trying to find a product manual, but haven't been able to locate one. Can you clarify a couple of things on how it operates?

Does the lock self-actuate the deadbolt? In other words, if the lock is currently open, can I completely move the deadbolt to lock the door without anyone being present? Is the same true for the unlock, or does it simply free up the bolt so that you can manually unlock the door?

Have you tried the Schlage link site? Anything useful about it at all?

Comment

[quote=richardfj;857583]I've been trying to find a product manual, but haven't been able to locate one. Can you clarify a couple of things on how it operates?

Does the lock self-actuate the deadbolt? NO not motorized
                    In other words, if the lock is currently open, can I completely move the deadbolt to lock the door without anyone being present? No

Is the same true for the unlock,

or does it simply free up the bolt so that you can manually unlock the door? yes for three seconds roughly

Have you tried the Schlage link site? Yes
                    Anything useful about it at all Yes you can change the codes remotely for the lock, unlock (3 seconds)
                    Automate lights.
                    No Thermostats as of today, no motion or door sensors as of today.
                    When I don't know. I feel it's like a crapshoot.

Comment

Ok, I'm confused as this last post is a bit hard to follow. Are you saying that the lock can't be locked/unlocked remotely?
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Ok, I'm confused as this last post is a bit hard to follow. Are you saying that the lock can't be locked/unlocked remotely?
                        That's what I understood as well ... and also something I was afraid of after having seen the promo video.

It isn't a big deal on the unlock, since someone has to be there to open the door anyway. However, I had intended to use it as a way to automatically lock certain doors if they were unlocked in certain situations.

If the deadbolt has no automation on the locking function, this is really just a way to check lock status and unlock the door in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                          Yes the lock can be locked remotely all it does is basically engage the turn button on the inside of a regular lock.

The Deadbolt however just engages or disengages the mechanism.
                          My understanding on the Deadbolt is that the bolt will not motorize into the Jamb it only a engage and disengage feature.
                          The Black and decker Zwave/Zigbee lock is motorized

The Schlage lock itself is a nice piece of hardware. I understand it works the same as the non Zwave version of the Keyless lock
                          I hope that works.

Comment

I missed the B&D locks at CES ... and just read the press release (http://www.bdhhi.com/AccessControl/A...leaseJan09.pdf)

Sounds like a much better solution ... scratch my previous desire to jump on the Schlage bandwagon ... I'm holding off until the B&D locks are on the market (they claim summer).

I'm just not so sure what benefit I have of a deadbolt I can't remotely control. I specifically don't have any locks on the door handles and use key on both sides deadbolts on all my perimeter doors.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfj View Post
                              I missed the B&D locks at CES ... and just read the press release (http://www.bdhhi.com/AccessControl/A...leaseJan09.pdf)

Sounds like a much better solution ... scratch my previous desire to jump on the Schlage bandwagon ... I'm holding off until the B&D locks are on the market (they claim summer).

I'm just not so sure what benefit I have of a deadbolt I can't remotely control. I specifically don't have any locks on the door handles and use key on both sides deadbolts on all my perimeter doors.
                              Seems like they are more interested it integrating with others than Schlage is.

Nice find.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X