Using a stereo 1/8 plug to extend IR emitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a stereo 1/8 plug to extend IR emitter

I need to extend my IR emitter which is mono (2 conductor).
    Can I use a 1.8 stereo headphone extension cable for this or will there be any issues? I want to plug the stereo end into the IR-100 block and then connect the IR emitter into the female end of the stereo 1/8 plug.
    Will this work?
    Thx
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Yes, they work fine for me. I have one that is a stereo plug that works with IR.

Scott

Comment

Great!
      I am assuming then if I wanted to make a 1.8 stereo plug for mono use I would just solder the gnd to the barrel and the other wire to the tip.
      Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

yep.
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows 10 vmware)
        BLOccupied:,UltraNetCam3:,weatherXML:,RFXCOM:,Current Cost 3P:,UltraGCIR3:
        DMMQTT:,Kodi:,Z-Wave:,BLRadar:,EasyTrigger:,MySensors:,BLBackup:

Comment

Some emitters like the USBUIRT have a stereo jack on the back which outputs two channels. I use a stereo headphone extension cord to extend it. If you plug a mono plug into that jack, it will create a short on one of the channels. So I guess the answer to your question depends on the type of emitter you are using and how it is wired. I think it should not be a problem if you plug a stereo plug into a mono jack. When you insert the plug from the LED you will have to experiment to see if it works when it is all the way in or only when plugged in to the first detent.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

OK here is what I am doing...

I am using the USBUIRT to feed the IR-100 block.

I want to use the IR plug on the back of the USBUIRT and run it into my IR-100 Buffalo block. I thought the 1/8" plug on the back of the USBUIRT was mono.
            I then need to extend one of the IR emitters out the IR-100 block and was going to use a 1/8 stereo headphone extension cord for this.

In the USBUIRT forum John Rhees said that on the back of the USBUIRT the tip goes to the SIG on the IR-100 block and the barrel goes to the GND on the block.
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

I don't know who wrote this but I saved it for future use, It might help you out.

using Multi-Zone Support on Newer USB-UIRT's
              -------------------------------------------------------

USB-UIRT's manufactured since Mid-February 2004 have added multi-zone support in the hardware. This allows these units to effectively have three (3) Zones:

Q: How do I know if my unit supports Zones?
              A: The serial number on the back of your unit will have a small letter 'Z' after it if it
              supports multi-zone commands.

Q: How do zones work?
              A: Zones allow individual 'channels' of the USB-UIRT's infrared emitter output to be individually
              driven. There are three 'Zones' on the newer USB-UIRTS:
              - Zone 1 : External Emitter Jack 'RIGHT' channel connection
              - Zone 2 : External Emitter Jack 'LEFT' channel connection
              - Zone 3 : USB-UIRT's built-in IR blaster
              Zones are specified in the Girder plugin window and can be chosen as 'All', '1', '2', or '3'. 'All' is the default and directs IR output to all zones which is the default non-zoned behavior.

Q: How do I get Zone-support software?
              A: You will need:
              1. API driver 2.6.9.2 or later (now available at www.usbuirt.com/latestAPIDriver.zip -- copy the
              uuirtdrv.dll overtop the one in your Windows\System32 folder)
              2. Girder Plugin 2.6.9 or later (now available at www.usbuirt.com/latestGirderPlugin.zip )

Q: What about Zone support in other programs?
              A: Many programs will automatically be zone-compatible if you have access to the IR codes file
              the program maintains. To use zones on these programs, pre-pend the letter Z and the zone
              number to the IR code, as follows:
              example: 0000 0067 0000 0020 .... .... becomes
              Z20000 0067 0000 0020 .... ....

example: F46R034510201020... becomes
              Z2F46R034510201020...

Q: How can I test if zones are working.
              A: An *easy* way to see if Zones are switching on the external emitter jack is to use a pair of
              headphones plugged into the emitter jack. WARNING: DON'T put the headphones on, since they
              will emit a non-audible high-frequency tone at an amplitude that is not good for your ears!
              Just hold the headphones near your ears to determine what channel(s) the IR code is being send
              from.

HomeSeer

- any device set to zone 1 will receive any ir transmission (the ir cmds are sent to all the
              outputs)

- any device set to output zone 2 will receive ir cmds from the stereo plug on the back jack
              (i think the tip)

- any device set to output zone 3 will receive ir cmds from the stereo plug on the back jack
              (probably the ring, but can't test it)

- output zone 4 come from the blaster on the front

i know this is a little confusion, but it seems to work (without having to modify anything in the registry)
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I want to use the external plug on the USBUIRT to take it into my IR-100 block and to emitters from there.

I am using a cat5 cable and a stereo (3 conductor) 1/8 plug (I do not have a mono plug). I wired both the blue pair of the cat5 to the tip of the plug and I wired the green pair of the cat5 to the barrel.
                The SIG light on the IR-100 is not lighting up and is not receiving the IR signals. The USBUIRT is receiving IR signals because I can see the red light on the front of it flashing.

What am I doing wrong?
                Last edited by Blade; January 25, 2009, 04:33 PM.
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

I am using a sound card cable from an old computer (the computer is now gone). This cable has a stereo plug on one end and 2 mono jacks on the other end. You can find such a cable at Radio Shack. Into the Left jack I have an IR stick-on emitter that is attached to my Sony receiver in my office. Into the Right jack I have a second stick-on emitter that goes to a Buffalo IR250 signal repeater. The signal repeater is then connected to my CAT5 terminal block. I use blue for SIG and blue-white for GND. And Orange for +5V. It is important to use a twisted pair to minimize noise. The Cat5 goes from my office to the TV room. In the TV room I have the blue and blue/white wire connected to a Xantech 789-44 connecting block.

This setup has been working fine for me for 2 years.

Steve Q
                  Last edited by Steve Q; January 25, 2009, 05:03 PM.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

OK this is just not working for me.
                    I can see the USBUIRT flash when I point the remote at it but the IR-100 distribution block is not doing anything. Should there not be an led lit up on the IR-100. There is a SIG led but it does not light up at all.
                    Could the IR-100 block be dead? It is brand new. I am at a loss here. It should be working.
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

you should be just sending signal and ground from the usbuirt to the unit. it should flash when you send something over the line. You can try switching the sig and ground, perhaps you have them reversed and since it's a diode it'll only work one way.

I assume you have learned some commands to the uirt for it to send? As I understand it the uirt is not a pass through unit, meaning you can do matching to trigger an event but the code you use for that does not pass through the unit to operate your equipment.
                      Marty
                      ------
                      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

LOL I am just not that bright tonight.
                        I was trying to use a remote control and point it at the USBUIRT and expected it to pass it thru it and to the IR block.
                        I execute an IR signal from the MainLobby plugin and it flashed the SIG led perfectly. Problem solved.
                        Thx
                        Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

a few more thousand of those and we'll be even
                          Marty
                          ------

Comment

Working...
                          X