Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connections from Homeseer to Thermostats

Hey all,

Do all thermostats with Homeseer support (plugin) connect directly to a serial port on the computer running homeseer? I know some are X10, so those don't apply to this question. I'm trying to determine which one to buy so I want to understand if any thermostats require any additional components (distribution equipment). I will only have one thermostat control.

Thanks.

There are X10 thermostats, UPB stats, Z-Wave, Insteon, and serial. The best and easiest to use stat in my opinion is the HAI line of stats if you can run a serial cable easily. If not then the Wayne Dalton Z-Wave stat for $124.95 is a good deal as well.
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/HVAC-C67.aspx
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Depends on the thermostat you want. X10 types communicate via X10, Zwave via Zwave, HAI via Serial, etc. It'll depend on what you want.

Damn, you're quick Rupp.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

wow, you guys are fast. Thanks.

All my light switches are insteon, and my homeseer system has a PLC module for this purpose.

What I need is a thermostat that will do two-way control - it can notify homeseer of things like the current temperature (which I can create events off of) and I can control remotely (via homeseer scripting).

Do I still have all of the options you mentioned? I was thinking of going with something serial to have the reliability (X10 doesn't work so well for me since I don't have a "coupler/repeater" to bridge the two electrical feeds coming into the house0, but insteon wouldn't be a bad choice due to it's reliability. I can easily run a serial cable from the thermostat to the Homeseer machine.

1) Can I do 2-way communication (as described above) with Insteon?
        2) If I go with serial/HAI, do I need any other hardware or just a serial connection into the homeseer computer and the free plugin?
        3) Does the Wayne Dalton Z-Wave Stat for $124.95 require some additional Z-Wave hardware which I do not currently have?

Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by yeahprolly View Post
          1) Can I do 2-way communication (as described above) with Insteon?
          I'm not familiar with the Insteon thermostat so I'll leave this to other users to comment on

2) If I go with serial/HAI, do I need any other hardware or just a serial connection into the homeseer computer and the free plugin?
          All you need is the stat, a cable, and the plugin

3) Does the Wayne Dalton Z-Wave Stat for $124.95 require some additional Z-Wave hardware which I do not currently have?
          You would need a Z-Wave interface like the Z-Troller and the free plugin.

Thanks so much!

Comment

Of course, you could also use Proliphix, if you can run a network cable to the tstat location. The added feature is that it contains its own web server, so you can if you want, access the tstat remotely independently of HS. On the other hand, I found the plugin to be a bit poor... not sure how other tstat plugins compare.

I installed my Proliphix NT10e yesterday and I am quite happy with it so far...

Cheers
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548| Plug-Ins Enabled: Sonos 3.1.0.57, RFXCOM 30.0.0.45, X10 3.0.0.62, IPThermostat 3.4.5.0, Pushover 3P 0.0.0.54, Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206, Z-Wave 3.0.10.0, BLML2HS 2.0.28.0, mcsMQTT 6.12.4.0, Insteon 3.0.7.19​​ | Win 7 32-bit | Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86GHz 4GB RAM

Comment

Is anyone using the insteon thermostats? I am ready to take the final automation plunge for my system, and just not sure the cheapest/best route to go. I am a heavy insteon user myself, and also have an elk m1 system (not even sure if there are thermostats to use elk/elk hs plugin). I guess my preference would be to use something with my existing infrastructure (insteon rf, insteon powerline, elk wireless, elk hardwired) if at all possible. Any suggestions or comments?
              HS 3.0.0.199 Pro/Insteon 3.0.5.20/3 Venstar Insteon Therms / Insteon Thermostat 3.0.2.2 / DirecTV 3.0.0.14 / OpenSprinkler 2.0.5.21 / ITunes DAAP 3.0.0.23/ UltraM1G3 3.0.5437.37424/ UltraWeatherbug3 /HSTouch Svr 3.0.0.68/Zwave 3.0.1.25/Ultramon3/Global Cache 5.0.0.17/Various BLXXX Plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by kuntakintay View Post
                Is anyone using the insteon thermostats? I am ready to take the final automation plunge for my system, and just not sure the cheapest/best route to go. I am a heavy insteon user myself, and also have an elk m1 system (not even sure if there are thermostats to use elk/elk hs plugin). I guess my preference would be to use something with my existing infrastructure (insteon rf, insteon powerline, elk wireless, elk hardwired) if at all possible. Any suggestions or comments?
                Why not a serial based stat connected directly to your HomeSeer server. These have been proven over the years and are the most reliable stats as they are directly connected to the server.

Comment

Originally posted by kuntakintay View Post

i was going to go insteon as they have togglelinc switches....
                  but decided against it as I had the 2414u controller (sold it on ebay today)
                  and went z-wave..

i love my ca8900 z-wave thermostat and z-troller.....

out of ease right out of box... I only have experience with the z-wave thermostat and very impressed....
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I donno about others, but my RCSX10 T-stat and Jim's Doostat plugin have worked flawlessly for over 4 years with me - both on HS 1.7.44 and now 2.3.0.19. It has never missed a beat!

Rob
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Trust me, dont go Insteon if you plan to use it with homeseer.
                      Support is virtually unavailable for it and I can sure assure you you will have problem with the External device script ...

Z-wave seems like the best affordable device as HS prones this technology much more.

I use both technologies myself and tend to like wired hardware better so Insteon is usually my first choise but product limitation and homeseer's infinite possibilities made me go to Z-wave for some needs.

Save Insteon for homeseer !! Nevermind the whales !!
                      Ok Ok, save both !!

Comment

Yeah, save the whales. Collect the whole set!
                        Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously. Were I planning to replace my TXB-16, I'd go Z-Wave.
                        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                          Yeah, save the whales. Collect the whole set!
                          Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously. Were I planning to replace my TXB-16, I'd go Z-Wave.

It's nice to see a little political in-correctness survives in the great north.

Strictly wired for me, nice, robust serial model.
                          Marty
                          ------
                          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I have a Proliphix thermostat and love it.

I use the plug-in with HST and can control everything but the up/down buttons for temp using my touch screen in the TV/living room. I think the temp control problem has to do with the fact that I had disabled the buttons before I installed the plug-in and enabled them afterward.

It was very easy to set up open/closed window control for the Proliphix. My son tends to open his window when the sun hits his bed. So now I have a sensor on the window that has HS announce the window is open and that the "HVAC is now off". It was a simple matter of setting mode to "Off"; when the window is closed the mode is reset to "Auto".

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              Why not a serial based stat connected directly to your HomeSeer server. These have been proven over the years and are the most reliable stats as they are directly connected to the server.
                              For some of us serial isn't an option. My HS server is downstairs and the thermostat is upstairs a good 40 feet of cable length way by most direct path.

Comment

Working...
                              X