Ab8ss alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
    The best thing I ever did was install a true whole house audio system for music.
    I think you've done more significant things than that :-)
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I was primarily looking for something to replace the unavailable AB8SS. although the aton is only single source it does offer individual volume control. which is a plus.

I have also been looking at this unit as well:

http://www.casatunes.com/XLi.aspx

Comment

perhaps the 2 units in conjuction with each other will provide the controll i am looking for. For example casatunes XLi and a aton dla 6.

I am interested in the Aton dla 6 for mostly out side zones which are primarily a single source:

Sun room
        Deck
        Gazebo
        Horse shoe pit
        Fire Pit
        Garage

Comment

Thanks for posting the info on the ATON DLA6... I've been struggling with what multi zone amp to use and after thinking about the number of sources needed, I too am only thinking I need one... I have a Denon A/V Receiver that I control through HS that manages all the source switching, so I really only need zone and volume control. I do hate the fact that the DLA6 only supports IR control (or their touch pads)... For over 10 years now I've resisted setting up IR in HS, but this may be the only way... Additionally, I hate the fact that I have HS loaded on a Vista MCE machine, that already has an IR receiver/blaster which I can't use for HS. For those using IR, should I look at the USB-UIRT?

Comment

I use the ocelot with the secu16IR, but then i also have a secu16 i/o. I also have HS on a vista mce machine.
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

ViewSonic Airpanel V150 others will follow for various rooms eventually. (to my suprize this thing is big! I didnt think this thing would look so big on the wall, lol)

I am looking a HSTouch to use as the front end.

The only thing holding my back is switch and on/ff capabilities.

Any comments or advice apperciated very much!

Comment

Comment

I think this is a terriffic idea! i would love a source to refer to instead of searching endlessly through out dated posts

Comment

wow been several months and no movement on this thread. i had hoped so. last time i posted was in november. since then i have found out i am to be a father, woohoo however that means i am even more broke lol. so it looks like looks as though until a cheaper alternative presents it self, no WHA for this guy

Comment

USB Audio Device perhaps useful // Multiple sound cards on same HS pc

USB Audio Device perhaps useful // Multiple sound cards on same HS pc

I too am sad that HACS is no longer with us. I was a few weeks away from placing an ESS order. I have followed this thread and looked at the alternatives presented; most of these are more than what I need and a bit pricey.

What if one only wants to control the HS TTS audio? I only need about 4 or 5 zones and I
                      mainly want to control volume (eg, night time, watching movie, etc). During different occupancy times and night time, its very useful to lower the volume level (especially upstairs when sleeping).

What about using one of the USB type devices that are widely available? For example, the Creative X-FI (model# 70SB109000000) can be had for around $50 and is widely available. Cheap enough to buy two and use one as a spare. It supports 5 discrete channels. There are a few others available also. See here:
                      http://us.creative.com/products/prod...=17751&listby=

I am leaning toward using a few Elk-800 audio modules. Also not expensive and available; they are modular and one can always keep an extra as a spare. The Elk module is here (example):
                      http://www.smarthome.com/5135/Compac...ELK-800/p.aspx

Our HS pc is currently running WinXP, but I plan to replace it with a Vista based machine in
                      early 2010.

While there are *many* advantages of this approach, there are at least two challenges:

1/ How to achieve programmatic control of the USB device (eg, the X-FI) ??? Is there something like an API or some other interface method to control the volume level of the usb device? Hopefully to be able to control the volume of each of the 5 channels independently as well as the master volume. In other words, have a dotNET program (or VB script, etc etc) that will interface with the usb device via something running on the same pc.It would be nice to use the device's existing software so as to not reinvent any wheels, but that is an option. The simpler the better. I don't think we really need anything fancy and probably just the controlling the volume levels will work fine.

Alternately, it might be possible to control the usb device with an IR remote, but not all of them have IR functionality.

2/ How does one run 2 or 3 different sound cards on the same pc (Vista) without
                      issues? The usb device for TTS audio would be the 3rd sound card if one is using the Way2Call HiPhone device in addition to the native pc sound system. Is there possibly a way to use the USB device in a 'simple' mode to route the TTS speech audio out to 4 or 5 sets of speakers as monaural voice. By 'simple', I mean with driver installed but not being really installed as a sound card. The USB traffic would be only the single TTS audio channel and the zone/master volume control of the 5 zones.

Sorry if some of this is naive, but I have a hunch the X-FI would be a truly awesome device to use for this purpose. But I am not sure how to approach this.

Comment

Steve,

Your suggestion to use a 5.1 surround sound amplifier (creative Labs - Sound Blaster) is an interesting idea. However, I believe that although it has 5 output channels, it only has 2 input channels. The input would have to be encoded for dolby 5.1 in order for it to go to the right channel (zone). I do not think this would be possible to do with Homeseer.

The ELK low power amplifier is nice for announcements but I'm not sure how it could be used for stereo music? It appears to be a mono amp. I can't see this being used for music.

I have had great success using an old Niles 6 zone distribution box (SVL-6). On the output side of this box I have installed relays that can turn ON/OFF the speakers for each zone. These relays are controlled by Homeseer. This approach allows me to send music/announcements to any or all zones. In my case, I am using 120V relays controlled by an X10 appliance module, but there are lots of switching devices that can be used. After 3 years, it still works fine.

Steve Q
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Dolby

SteveQ - Good point about the doby encoding. I did not think of that. I was just going to feed both inputs with the output of the pc.

The idea of 2 or more sound cards is still giving me bad vibes anyway.

Yeah the Elk amp is only monaural ... but that's all I need. I have other ways to move hifi stereo audio around. The Elk has a way to bump the volume, but I think that is by a jumper (not sure).

I am just so disappointed about the ESS. I just want to control the volume and zones of the apeech audio.

I thought about relays for the zones, but have not figured out the 'by zone' volume method. Want to use off the shelf items not > $100-200. I suppose I could use a relay to flip the Elk audio up ... that would ultimatley implement 3 audio levels: None, Max and something in between.

Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

Code:
                            The idea of 2 or more sound cards is still giving me bad vibes anyway
                            Multiple sound cards is not the way to go. It will cause big problems.

HTML Code:
                            I thought about relays for the zones, but have not figured out the 'by zone' volume method. Want to use off the shelf items not > $100-200. I suppose I could use a relay to flip the Elk audio up ... that would ultimatley implement 3 audio levels: None, Max and something in between.

Why can't you control the volume to each zone with a volume control in the room. You can then control the announcement volume via the sound card. I use the Niles box to control the volume to each room.

Steve Q
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Steve - Do you have a link to the Niles?

I saw earlier where there was interest in the HTD or other units to be RS-232 controlled.

Comment

Steve, Go to www.nilesaudio.com for info about their products. I could not find anything about the SVL-6 because it is too old. There are a few listed on eBay.

Steve Q

Comment

Working...
                                X