Ab8ss alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
    A few of us are looking into the reality of making a similar device using the RelayBee Board and Jon00s script for switching.. in theory it would allow switching of unlimited zones as he is re writing the script to allow more than one RelayBee board.

I do no think we will be able to adjust volume in each zone but will be able to switch zones on / off... maybe with a bit more thought volume control MAY be doable.

TrOjAn
    Hi all I was just visiting this thread again. I was wondering if anything has come of this piticular post in reguards to an Ab8ss alternative?

My boy is now nearly 2 months old and am trying to get back on track with my whole house audio dream. ROFL Will it ever happen ? Not that i am helping my self get there.

Comment

How about using multiple 2 channel AV receivers fed by a delta410 soundcard and using JRMC and Netremote for the UI.

just google jwilson56 or check out his showcase on cocoontech.com

I'm doing something similar by using an audigy4 soundcard that gives me 3 independent zones
      + the onboard audio that is zone 4 and an external usb soundcard for zone 5

JRMC can take the audigy 5.1 output and create 3 stereo channels as zones

Netremote's media bridge interfaces with JRMC and will display current tracks playing and zone selection. There is already skins made for netremote to control JRMC.

I personally use 2 dual zone AV receivers and one single zone AV receiver that I control using Netremote as a bonus each zone has an FM tuner and aux inputs for other sources.

Laz

Comment

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post
        A few of us are looking into the reality of making a similar device using the RelayBee Board and Jon00s script for switching.. in theory it would allow switching of unlimited zones as he is re writing the script to allow more than one RelayBee board.

I do no think we will be able to adjust volume in each zone but will be able to switch zones on / off... maybe with a bit more thought volume control MAY be doable.

TrOjAn

I am just about to go almost the same route as mentioned above. I already have a maxibee unit controlled with Jon00's Script, I am going to design and build a relay board which will interface with the maxibee and allow individual switching of 6 separate speaker sources from one amp. It is a very custom solution to my problem but I would be grateful of any input. I am using DPDT relays one for each zone, which either switches in the speaker for that zone or if inactive switches in a resistor with a similar resistance (hoping it will be close enough to impedance at all frequencies). Before I design and build the PCB I was wondering if anyone has any input.

The good thing about using the maxibee is that you are able to use up to 64 zones from one unit, and you are not restrained by using the relays with the relaybee if they don't suit your application.

I have attached a basic schematic of my circuit, my amp is able to accept an impedance of 4-16 ohms, i plan on using 5 sets of 4 ohm speakers and one set of 8 ohm speakers.

Cabbage
        Attached Files

Comment

These guys sell many relays that would fit the bill. Even wireless relays.

http://www.controlanything.com/Relay...ay_Controllers
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If I were going through all that trouble i'd throw in a POTS volume control relay too!
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              These guys sell many relays that would fit the bill. Even wireless relays.

http://www.controlanything.com/Relay...ay_Controllers
              Rupp,

Thanks for this link. Looks like they have some very useful relays.

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Cabbage, I am unable to give help on this as my project dropped of as I was unable to source a cost effective relay, if you do manage to get the parts and assemble the board please post some pictures as it will be a vauable resource for others..

Good luck and keep us informed, TrOjAn

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post
                  I am just about to go almost the same route as mentioned above. I already have a maxibee unit controlled with Jon00's Script, I am going to design and build a relay board which will interface with the maxibee and allow individual switching of 6 separate speaker sources from one amp. It is a very custom solution to my problem but I would be grateful of any input. I am using DPDT relays one for each zone, which either switches in the speaker for that zone or if inactive switches in a resistor with a similar resistance (hoping it will be close enough to impedance at all frequencies). Before I design and build the PCB I was wondering if anyone has any input.

The good thing about using the maxibee is that you are able to use up to 64 zones from one unit, and you are not restrained by using the relays with the relaybee if they don't suit your application.

I have attached a basic schematic of my circuit, my amp is able to accept an impedance of 4-16 ohms, i plan on using 5 sets of 4 ohm speakers and one set of 8 ohm speakers.

Cabbage
                  If you have not already purchased the relays, I would do some research in to make before break contact versions. It will prevent the momentary drop in level with the other zones when switching.
                  Jon

Comment

Cheers Jon00,

I will have a look at this but I am not expecting it to be a big problem as the impedance should remain pretty constant?

Unless you are talking about the time it takes the relays to switch?

By the way thanks for all the work you put into your scripts and plugins my system would be allot worse off if they weren't available.

Either way my main concern is keeping the cost down and I plan to make sure that on most occasions the zones are switched on prior to audio being delivered.

Thanks for all the input guys I should be building this soon and will let you know how it goes..

Cabbage

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the relay switchover; not the speaker impedance.
                      Jon

Comment

I am so glad there is some movement in this thread. I would love to see it become a reality by the spring. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an expensive unit to end my frustration but now maybe ill just stay tuned for a while longer

Comment

I don't think I will bother with the make before break relays as with the setup I have chosen they could mean that for a small amount of time I will have the impedance of the speaker to be switched in parallel with the impedance of the safety resistor this in effect could halve the impedance the amp sees and could bring it out of the safety zone, by using standard relays I will possibly introduce an open circuit but I think this is better than a short circuit (or at least close to one).

I might have a look at volume control per channel, does anyone know how using an output from the maxibee(or perhaps two) per channel I could vary the speaker volume, I have no problem implementing the required logic but I am not sure of what low cost devices are available to adjust the speaker volume.

Cheers,

Cabbage

Comment

I think you would be much better off if you use individual manual volume controls for each zone and adjust everything so it is properly balanced (I use a Niles speaker switch box with a volume control for each zone). Then control the master volume at the source and switch the zones off or on as needed.

Steve Q
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I wonder how volume will be affected as you turn on and off zones.

I've had multispeaker selector boxes that lowered the volume the more speakers you turned on.

Also... for me, a main feature I need is to control the volume in each room from homeseer. I don't want to miss an announcement because I turned the music down the night before.
                              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Hi,

Because the impedance attached to the amplifier is pretty consistent (when I switch on a zone I am switching off a resistor with a similar impedance) In theory the volume level should not change significantly. At the minute I only have control of the master volume from the Amp via IR, but I agree with you adding manual controls brings in the human factor, I would rather have no zone volume controls than allow the ability to turn down or off a zone manually.

I am not having any luck finding a low cost method of controlling the volume per zone, ideally I would like a digial Pot with a high enough rating to control the speakers but if there is such a thing I am sure it is expensive.

Completelyhis mentioned a Volume control relay but I am not having much luck finding one.

Cabbage

Comment

Working...
                                X