Ab8ss alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    I think you would be much better off if you use individual manual volume controls for each zone and adjust everything so it is properly balanced (I use a Niles speaker switch box with a volume control for each zone). Then control the master volume at the source and switch the zones off or on as needed.

Steve Q
    I personally am in favor of HS controlled volume at the zones, then providing access to that via events and local devices that interface w/HS. If someone turns the volume up/down for their personal preference, I'd like HS to be able to adjust the volume to whatever when an announcement is going to be made, or the phones ring the volume is automatically turned down, or so on and so forth. Just my opinion, though.
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I suppose if you could zone each speaker set with it's own amplifier, you could run a sound card for each and have the PC adjust the volume before it's amplified, leave the amps set at fixed maximum levels and go from there.

Not quite the same approach and out of the scope of this topic.

I think this is the route I'll be taking, but I'm still keeping an eye on what's going on here.

I was planning on using the ESS, but that fell through.

Joe
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I picked up a Proficient M4 for a friend and he really likes it. He also bought the command interface to control the unit via serial but hasn't used it yet. Is this a cheaper alternative? I haven't researched.

http://www.get-it-for-less.com/profi...-pr-17913.html

http://www.get-it-for-less.com/profi...-pr-18501.html

What are other HA software users using? It seemed like HACS was mostly a Homeseer thing. I wonder if some of the other users using CQC, ML, ect have found a solution. Might want to check there forums out.

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post
          I don't think I will bother with the make before break relays as with the setup I have chosen they could mean that for a small amount of time I will have the impedance of the speaker to be switched in parallel with the impedance of the safety resistor this in effect could halve the impedance the amp sees and could bring it out of the safety zone, by using standard relays I will possibly introduce an open circuit but I think this is better than a short circuit (or at least close to one).

I might have a look at volume control per channel, does anyone know how using an output from the maxibee(or perhaps two) per channel I could vary the speaker volume, I have no problem implementing the required logic but I am not sure of what low cost devices are available to adjust the speaker volume.

Cheers,

Cabbage
          Just to say IMO, the small amount of time that the two are in parallel would cause no danger to the amplifier. We are talking impedance here not Resistance. The values stated on a speaker are only the average. Depending on the frequency, speakers can vary their impedance dramatically and could be less than 1 ohm for low frequencies!

A click on the audio would drive me crazy! Anyway, it's your project so I'll leave it to you.
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
            I personally am in favor of HS controlled volume at the zones, then providing access to that via events and local devices that interface w/HS. If someone turns the volume up/down for their personal preference, I'd like HS to be able to adjust the volume to whatever when an announcement is going to be made, or the phones ring the volume is automatically turned down, or so on and so forth. Just my opinion, though.

Good point! My volume controls are not accessable(they are in my rack).
            I have not had much luck wit adjusting audio volumes with Homeseer. It seems like over time they either drift up or down. For announcements I set the Sound card volume and forget it.

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by 68sting View Post
              I picked up a Proficient M4 for a friend and he really likes it. He also bought the command interface to control the unit via serial but hasn't used it yet. Is this a cheaper alternative? I haven't researched.

http://www.get-it-for-less.com/profi...-pr-17913.html

http://www.get-it-for-less.com/profi...-pr-18501.html

What are other HA software users using? It seemed like HACS was mostly a Homeseer thing. I wonder if some of the other users using CQC, ML, ect have found a solution. Might want to check there forums out.

For me $900 is out of the question. For 4 zones, you could buy 4 Sony Receivers for $190 each. That would provide way more functionality and be less expensive. I don't understand why a multichannel amp is so expensive?

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                Just to say IMO, the small amount of time that the two are in parallel would cause no danger to the amplifier. We are talking impedance here not Resistance. The values stated on a speaker are only the average. Depending on the frequency, speakers can vary their impedance dramatically and could be less than 1 ohm for low frequencies!

A click on the audio would drive me crazy! Anyway, it's your project so I'll leave it to you.

Comment

For me $900 is out of the question. For 4 zones, you could buy 4 Sony Receivers for $190 each. That would provide way more functionality and be less expensive. I don't understand why a multichannel amp is so expensive?

Steve Q
                  Well this has 4 keypads also so comparing it to just recievers is not fair. It would cost alot more than just buying 4 receivers to get multi room control going.

Comment

I am almost finished the PCB design for my speaker switch PCB, before I pull the trigger I want to check if anybody has any idea of where to source make before break relays, and volume control relays.

Has anybody used the AB8SS and if so did they experience any clicking when switching in speakers, or was it just a loss in volume?

Cheers,

Cabbage

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post
                      I am almost finished the PCB design for my speaker switch PCB, before I pull the trigger I want to check if anybody has any idea of where to source make before break relays, and volume control relays.

Has anybody used the AB8SS and if so did they experience any clicking when switching in speakers, or was it just a loss in volume?

Cheers,

Cabbage
                      I use Digikey (www.digikey.com) for all my parts. You can purchase in any quantity. Prompt Delivery and they usually have stock.

I do not know if they have the items you are looking for.

Steve Q

Comment

I am going to proceed with my project as planned, however I have found a pretty good circuit based on the ATMEL AT89c2051 microcontrolller

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/kit...kit/3108v3.pdf

This circuit along with the circuit for the switching of the speakers with relays(if it works) could provide an RS232 controllable AB8SS replacement.

Cabbage

Comment

You do realise that if you succeed you will be flooded with requests for this dont you?

Kindly place me in SLOT 1 for the 1st one you sell LOL

TrOjAn

Comment

Thanks for the Order Trojan,

I am initially just going to use the maxibee and a switching board I build myself, because I already have a maxibee and I know it works, I was just putting the information out there in case anyone want's to build thier own. If my project works ok I might get around to having a go at integrating the RS232 interface and building a circuit, but I wouldn't have a clue how to write a plugin for it.

Cabbage

Comment

Seems like a lot of work when companies like this have dozens of affordable solutions.
                              http://www.controlanything.com/Relay...ay_Controllers
                              They even offer source code to integrate.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

You are probably right, I was just looking for something that had everything in one package, all that is missing from the relays on that site is the interconnects with the relevant safety resistors, this could all be connected separately, however the 8 channel board shown only uses 5A SPDT relays, for this application you would need DPDT relays rated at about 10A just to be sure.

I am not going to build this device I am just throwing some ideas around as at the minute there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative to the AB8SS, the controllers on this site are very useful but as they stand they are not a viable solution.

Cabbage

Comment

Working...
                                X