No announcement yet.

Ab8ss alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Im honest using the maxibee is easy enough, I initially wanted to use relays so the maxibee switch ONE of its relays that would operate a relay that had 3 connections, 1 for left 1 for right and a common that way it would be a stereo switching unit.

If I use the maxibee on its own I think i would need 2 of the relays on the board per channel to get switched stereo

I thought of going MONO but as the music is played over the house speakers in stereo I dont really want to drop back to mono.. does thta make sense?

Anyway, you have renewed my interest in this and Im going to look at re wiring the speakers into the maxibee.

Look for a report back soon,

TrOjAn

Comment

Trojan,

If you use DPDT relays you only need one relay per zone, that is one relay to switch a pair of stereo speakers on. I am finalising my circuit doing exactly what you require. I plan on ordering the pcb's in the next day or so. I am using express pcb in the states, have used them before even with the import charges they work out cheap enough and they provide easy to use schematic and pcb design software.

How many zones are you switching?

Cabbage

Comment

I was unable to get a cheap set of relays in the UK, thats what stopped me getting further.

At this time I only need 3 zones.. I do plan on expanding but for now 3 will be fine, what sort of money are you expecting to pay for the relays? if the price is right I would like 4 but as I say, price is a killer here.

TrOjAn

Comment

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=5116790http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=4882604

Cabbage

Comment

Just a quick update on my project,

I ordered the pcb built the circuit and hey presto it worked first time!

I have no appreciable loss of volume when speakers are switched in and out, there is a click on the audio when speakers are switched while loud music is playing, but it is nothing I can't live with.

All in all I am pretty happy with the results, the only feature of the AB8SS that I have not implemented is being able to switch between sources, this would be easy to do but I only have one amp and the amp has multiple sources so I am happy enough with that as the main source.

Cabbage

Comment

I am glad it has worked out so far for you. Perhaps when you have completed your project and have some time you could share instructions or a how to. I would be more than happy to make a donation for an affortable (for me any way) solution to my whole house audio

Comment

No problem if I get some time tomorrow I will throw together a quick overview although the main element of this project is having a working interface to homeseer, I used the Maxibee and without this or something similar being available it would be allot more difficult to achieve.

Cabbage

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post

I have no appreciable loss of volume when speakers are switched in and out, there is a click on the audio when speakers are switched while loud music is playing, but it is nothing I can't live with.

Cabbage
                  Nice work Re: the click on switching, maybe drop the volume down, switch then return volume?? just a thought, if its an electrical click then the volume wont change it.. Im really looking forward to what you have...

I do plan on copying you as the maxibee is doing nothing atm... thats unless you patent it of course

TrOjAn

Comment

Hi,

I have attached a small guide to how I built my speaker switch, it is by no means exhaustive but gives an overview of the steps I took to build the project.

Trojan, there is nothing new about the circuit feel free to copy but I take no responsibility if you blow up your amp.

Cabbage
                    Attached Files

Comment

LOL No you havent,

I have attached a small guide to how I built my speaker switch
                      TrOjAn

Comment

I just reopened the HACS website and it seems that the AB8SS can be bought again from their website. Does anyone know whether this is real?

See: http://hacs.com/ab8ss.php

Comment

I clicked on the Paypal button and got the following message.

This recipient is currently unable to receive money.
                          John

Comment

I spoke to Ray a little while back and he does not have enought interest to fund the project but hopes toin the future.

Comment

If you look at the homepage there is a comment that since March 2010 there has been more interest (request for bids). That seems very promising in my opinion...

Comment

Is there any news on the HACS products?

Comment

Working...
                                X