Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody here get the HTD MCA66 system? I am curious how it is

Comment

4 Creative lab sound usb devices and 4 amps!?

I just finished building a house and was doing something similar to the rest of you with the multi controllers.

My house has 8 speaker pairs and I don't want to by an expensive proprietary system - doing it myself. looking at the AB8SS but don't want to start writing serial port commands, so far bought a pair of Creative lab $50.00 usb soundcards, a Atom based mini computer (Acer about $300.00), and I have a $90.00 amplifier which does A/B and 2 speaker set inputs. Was going to do this x4, and control with VLC (Which I can control software-wise), but wondered about a better controller.

Comment

I understand that Russound is propietary; but I purchased an old "new" old stock Russound CAS-66 for less than $200. I also still utilize an AB8SS. I'm guessing that the AB8SS if sold today would be similiar in cost.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Does that mean that you're going to sell your AB8SS? If so, I'm quite interested...

Comment

No. I am still using it with HS and utilize two amps on top of the Russound Zoned AMP. Very reasonably priced simple amplifiers from Audiosource.

I did add a new basement audio zone (and the basement is unfinished at this time).

Long term the basement though will have a multimedia room versus today the family room being primarily a family room first with just a big TV in it.

http://www.audiosource.net/amp.php#

This though taking me to 6 zones plus 8 zones for the audio in/out of the house.....14 zones....
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi,

I am thinking about making my own alternative to the AB8SS, I already have the box which I outlined on this Thread which uses a maxibee to interface to HS and it has worked perfectly since I built it, however I would like to build in volume control to each zone and also have an RS232 interface to allow HS integration. As it stands at the minute I am pretty sure I could buid a working replacement to the AB8SS, but if possible I would like to have per zone volume control built in.

I need some ideas on how to (cost effectively) achieve per zone volume control which could be controlled digitally and perhaps do away with the need for relays (i.e. have a built in mute function)

Cheers

Cabbage

Comment

Hi,

I am thinking about making my own alternative to the AB8SS, I already have the box which I outlined on this Thread which uses a maxibee to interface to HS and it has worked perfectly since I built it, however I would like to build in volume control to each zone and also have an RS232 interface to allow HS integration. As it stands at the minute I am pretty sure I could buid a working replacement to the AB8SS, but if possible I would like to have per zone volume control built in.

I need some ideas on how to (cost effectively) achieve per zone volume control which could be controlled digitally and perhaps do away with the need for relays (i.e. have a built in mute function)

Cheers

Cabbage
                Personally if I was doing the same I think I would be looking at digital potentiometers (something like http://www.tme.eu/dok/D/ds1267.pdf) that could communicate over I2C/SPI. Get a series of them connected to something like an Arduino or picaxe and then accept incoming serial commands in a protocol you specify. You could look at the Dallas DS1802 though (push button potentiometer) which you could control from two outputs of something like a maxibee (one for up, other for down) - that also supports a serial connection.

Comment

Yes I looked at something like these, the problem is by themselves they will not work to control the volume post amplifier, they will not be able to handle the current. The only way this would work was if it was part of the amplifier design itself which is not a route I want to go down at this stage.

I have been looking around and it seems there isn't any easy solution to the problem of post amp zoned volume control. I think I might just bite the bullet and forget about volume control per zone.

As for the control, I am going to use a microcontroller with a serial interface for homeseer, drive the relays with its outputs and then obviously I could use I2C/SPI for interfacing anything on board.

Comment

How about multiple USB soundcards like this: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153511
                    Jon

Comment

Jon00,

That looks like some setup, hard to beat the flexibility but with an amp and soundcard for each zone it could soon become expensive, I am happy enough with one amp with multiple sources and switching that throughout my zones.

I have a general question about what people would prefer from a speaker switch. The AB8SS has the following charachteristics

Number of speakers selected= 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
                      Ohm load seen by amplifier= 8.49 4.98 4.13 3.96 4.05 4.27 4.85 4.92
                      % power to speakers= 94 80 64 50 40 31 29 20
                      max power internal resistors 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
                      max power speakers 156 80 53 40 33 27 29 20
                      max power from AMP 166 100 83 80 83 87 98 100

This means in theory that the volume will change with zones being switched in and out and that maximum power is delivered to speakers with only one zone connected.

The setup I am thinking about is based on my previous design with the maxibee, what it means is that there is a relatively constant load at the amp of approx 8 to 8.2 Ohms and that irrespective of the zones switched the same power is delivered to each speaker pair which is 1/9th of the total power (I am thinking about a 9 speaker switch). So when all of the speakers are connected all amp power is going to them and when none of them are connected all power is going to resistors.

From my setup what this means in practice is that if I change from all speakers at full power to 1 speaker there is no appreciable volume change. The spec for the AB8SS seems to indicate it would be a massive change but maybe some owners could let me know, also with my setup all zones can be muted (turned off) at the switch. Can this be done with the AB8SS.

Cabbage

Comment

I've only got 3 pairs of speakers, powered by two cheapo 15W ELK amps. I had thought I might hear a difference in volume when speakers turned on or off, but I don't. If I have all three pairs on and then turn off the two other than where I am, I can't tell any difference in volume.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Good to know, maybe I will rethink my strategy on resistive loading, as it stands I am looking at 2 high power resistors per zone, so if the AB8SS can get away with its variation in load and power then maybe I should do the same. Does anyone have any idea on the way the resistors are switched for the AB8SS.

Cabbage

Comment

There's definitely a volume difference when switching speakers. I've never really had an issue with it. As I turn on a zone I'll adjust the volume for the zone I'm in, good enough for me. Someone had or suggested a script that would adjust volume per the amount of speakers that were active but I never had a need to do that, others may think differently. The A/B switch is the real sweet spot for me as the ab8ss can switch to HS for an announcement which the volume and zones are predetermined and then switch back to the music setup.
                            John

Comment

John,

Thanks for the info, In my setup I don't have an A/B but its easy to allow for the option just an extra relay. If there is a volume change then I think I will stick to my original plan.

Also what sort of amplifier power (RMS) are people using.

cabbage

Comment

Hi Steve - Where did you purchase your "two cheapo 15W ELK amps." Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X