Ab8ss alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ab8ss alternatives?

Mornin everyone one, I have been slowly very slowly aquiring the parts for my whole house audio. It has come time for me to pick up 2 AB8SS and well HACS appears to be no more.

So now what?

I guess I should not have stalled in purchasing them, I assumed hacs would always bee around and to be honest I was looking forward to the ess line and was thinking of going that route, Now I cant even get an AB8SS

Any suggestions to an afforable alternatives? I was hoping to have the whole house audio running by springtime.

No suggestions?

Comment

seriously? No suggestions? thread is older than a week now not a single reply.

has the message board traffic faded?

Has anyone taken an alternative route that doesnt include the ab8ss that is no longer available?

Comment

Originally posted by Laldaas View Post
        seriously? No suggestions? thread is older than a week now not a single reply.

has the message board traffic faded?

Has anyone taken an alternative route that doesnt include the ab8ss that is no longer available?

I am still looking for a ab8ss. And willing to pay a good price for one.

You may try a Russound CAV6.6 and just use the page input.

Mark

Comment

The reason, I believe you are not getting an answer is there isn't one. I've not come across another device that can do what this device can do.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

A few of us are looking into the reality of making a similar device using the RelayBee Board and Jon00s script for switching.. in theory it would allow switching of unlimited zones as he is re writing the script to allow more than one RelayBee board.

I do no think we will be able to adjust volume in each zone but will be able to switch zones on / off... maybe with a bit more thought volume control MAY be doable.

TrOjAn

Comment

As Trojen said we are working on an idea but I am also interested in volume. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanks

Thom

Comment

awsome! anything to be able to control speakers on and off. If I can be of any assistance in the project please let me know I will do what i can not that i feel i can be much of help.

I have looked at some other option but the price is remarkable and cant belive piece of electronics can be priced in the 1500 to 2000 dollar range

Comment

I found these and a couple of members on the message board use these and claim they are easy to interface with.

http://www.controlanything.com/Merch...gory_Code=VIDS
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    I found these and a couple of members on the message board use these and claim they are easy to interface with.

http://www.controlanything.com/Merch...gory_Code=VIDS
                    Rupp,

I may be wrong, but I don't think that is a good sub for the AB8SS. The AB8SS has 2 stereo inputs and 8 stereo outputs. The 8S2SPRO has 8 stereo inputs to 2 stereo outputs. It also is for line level only, so you couldn't route speaker signals through it.

Steve

Comment

I have been using my AB8SS since its inception (around there) a few years now and working great. I have seen a few come and go in the for sale section. I have eight speakers connected to two sources (HS and main home stereo). Been working well.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I used an AB8SS for a few years since the first AB8SS plugin, The AB8SS ran great and I never had a problem. It is an awesome product! ( I also still have an AVS8x8 that is used heavily. ).

But.... I recently switched to a B&K CT600 Multizone audio amp and I must say I should have switched a long time ago.

It is expensive, and worth every cent.

Now each zone has independent source, volume, bass/treble and paging control's. The best part is that controlling it with rs232. I longer have to control the amp or fm stations with IR.

I now wish I had purchased the CT600 a long long time ago......

Just my 2 cents.

I guess it all depends on what you want.

StevenE
                        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Wow. A quick Google tells me the CT600 is somewhere north of $2,000. It certainly does seem to be a pretty good box though.

I assume you wrote your own plug-in or scripts to control it? I see that it does have RS232, but the B&K spec sheet says that the RS232 is "triggered by IR". What does that mean?

It does seem to me that if I were going to start from scratch and do a true whole-house audio system I might like the CT600 as an alternative. As it is, mine has grown up piece-by-piece over 10 years and is a bit rag tag.

Steve

Comment

Yes, unfortunately the CT600 is that expensive, I did not buy any keypads and control it with HS & Mainlobby through touchscreens for everything.

I had some help from a plugin author who created a basic script for me, which I have expanded the script to add all the functions and work the way I like.

RS232 "triggered by IR", Any changes to the CT600 Settings by IR can be repeated on the RS232 to keep a host or other keypads updated.
                            The CT600 can reply to every rs232 command also, I use this to keep HS and Mainlobby in sync with everything.

My setup had also been put together piece by piece over many years and every now and then needed attention. I just decided I wanted something that took less tinkering and allowed Multizone audio with independent sources. My Wiring rack has been greatly simplified now.

StevenE
                            Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

god i wish hacs would return

Comment

Working...
                              X