Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relatively new user setup help

Hello all,
    I have owned the HomeSeer software for a few years but have only been using it only around Christmas time to manage the lights. I have finally completed my Home Theater and am ready for the automation of the house. I am looking for your suggestions as to the best way to go about doing this. This is going to be a lengthy post so please bear with me. I have included 3 drawings to go along with the post. The first is a basic system, the second a client server configuration and the third with utilizing some commercial automation equipment. I have been in the security business for 28 years with the last 15 also doing some commercial building automation. I have some equipment available to me that is shown in the last configuration if I can make use of it. The automation controller is basically a small CPU that I can add modules to for card readers as well as hardwired input and output points. I can write programs based on the basic programming language and store them in the controller as well as read and write ASCII strings to and from the controller. I plan on upgrading to the newer version of HomeSeer and already have a few X10 wall switches installed as well as numerous X10 plug in modules. If X10 is not the way to go let me know and I can go a different direction as I do not have a large investment in the equipment. I have a CCTV Digital Video Recorder in the house and I can build a web page to display the camera video through this web page. When I had the house built 8 years ago I had a massive amount of wiring installed. I have CAT5, 22/4, coax and fiber to every room. I have microphone wiring ran to the ceiling in every room as well as CCTV cabling to various locations. There is a good chance I will substitute the laptop shown for a touch screen computer. I would eventually like to utilize voice commands throughout the house.

In the first setup I am looking to control the components in my media room, some control of lighting, adding some output points to control the sprinkler system and interface with the alarm system. The questions that I have regarding this setup are:
    1. What sort of device will give me 8 controllable outputs via the system?
    2. Which software plug ins will I need for the alarm panel and IR control?
    3. Can I send infrared signals via Windows Media Center if I have the Media Center plug in?

In the second setup I am looking for a client/server configuration. The questions for this are:
    1. Can I utilize the network for the client and server to communicate?
    2. Do I need to send the infrared signals out of the server via hardwire to the media room equipment?
    3. Can I use the laptop in the media room to send the infrared signals?

In the third setup I am adding in the commerical automation and security equipment that I described earlier. This will provide me with access control and the hardwired outputs for the sprinkler system and any other items that I need hardwired inputs or outputs for.
    1. Will I be able to send and receive ASCII strings from the automation controller to the HomeSeer software?

Thanks for your help
    Attached Files

I am wondering if I posted this in the correct area. I see where there have been over 40 views but no suggestions. Should I relocate this post to another section?
    Thanks

Comment

I think you may find that your description of a new user mis leads people, what you have posted is very comprehensive and therefore looks daughting to people.. thats only my opinion... I read through it and I could not add anything to it.. you appear to be well clued up and with the little experience I have theres nothing I can add, go for it and enjoy

TrOjAn

Comment

Working...
      X