Howto tackle this dimming scenario :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howto tackle this dimming scenario :-)

Okie, I am a little confused on how to get this working.

Target.

Set the dim level at 100 % between 5 AM and sunrise
    Set the dim level at 80 % between sunset and 10 PM
    Set the dim level at 40 % between 10 PM and 5 AM

Setup.

Build in X10 Light Module (the type that remembers the dim level) for hallway light

Motion Detector and Event actions in HS and DooMotion

Configuration.

Using basic event actions in HS I have the lights going on and off as I want.

However, I would like to automate the dim levels as outlined above.

If I set the dimlevel in the event itself, it or does not work, goes in a continous stream down, or fluctuates to full brightness

If I set the dimlevel manual, it works fine, but I just need to remember to push it up to 100 % in the morning.

Setting some absolute time trigger that sets the light dimming would work, but as such that is not a nice way.

Is there an easy way to achieve dimming levels like this, without going into complex scripting ?

Boris,

If I understand your post correctly it sounds like you have 2 issues:
    1) dimming from an event does not work as expected
    2) setting up events to set your light to specific dim levels at certain times

On the Status page for your device, make sure that you have chosen the correct "Device Type" for this X10 module. Different modules use different X10 protocols to dim. Some device types can only respond to the basic Dim and Bright commands (where the dim or bright command is continuously transmitted over the powerline until the lamp is at the correct level) while other device types can respond to the Preset Dim command (where the computer says "go to 40% dim" using only one command on the powerline.)

I am guessing from your statement "If I set the dimlevel in the event itself, it or does not work, goes in a continous stream down, or fluctuates to full brightness" that either your device type is not set properly or you may not be clear on how the different types of dim commands work (relative, absolute, bright first.)

Can you be more specific about this particular problem?

As to setting up events (#2 above), if I understand your dimming scenario correctly, it is simply three HomeSeer events (and no complex scripting is required ):

Event 1: "Set the dim level at 100 % between 5 AM and sunrise"
    Name = Hallway to 100%
    Trigger = Absolute Time, 5:00:00am
    Action = Device Action, Hallway Light, Dim, 100%, Absolute Dim

Event 2: "Set the dim level at 80 % between sunset and 10 PM"
    Name = Hallway to 80%
    Trigger = SUNSET
    Action = Device Action, Hallway Light, Dim, 80%, Absolute Dim

Event 3: "Set the dim level at 40 % between 10 PM and 5 AM"
    Name = Hallway to 40%
    Trigger = Absolute Time, 10:00:00pm
    Action = Device Action, Hallway Light, Dim, 40%, Absolute Dim
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Boris,

I'd use a simple script to achieve this, based on time and movemnt the bathroom light will come on at differnet levels at different times, the script I use is attached.

Hope it helps.
      Attached Files
      Lance

Comment

Hi Mark, Lance,

Thanks for the advice. I will do some deeper study on the devices used and maybe that is the culprit, and report back !

Greetz,
        Boris

Comment

Working...
        X