Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X10 issues & should I change technologies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 issues & should I change technologies?

I have had the older version of HomeSeer for some time and usually used it only around Christmas time. I recently decided to automate the house (especially the media room) and downloaded the lastest version of HS to test it out. I have just a few light switches and lamp modules on the system for now. I am using a IBM HD11a as the interface. I noticed that my front house lights would accept an "on" command via the software but not an "off" command. I ordered the XPCR coupler/repeater and was getting ready to put in on today when the X10 light switch in the media room would come on. When I manually pushed it to turn it off and can right back on. My wife also told me the the test lamp module I have in the office came on the other night by itself. The only light on a timer is the front house lights. I unplugged my interface but still had the same results. I went ahead and installed the XPCR part and I saw that the red light on the unit is blinking constantly and I still was not able to turn off the media room light. I re-addressed the module to an odd number and now it is working properly. The light on the XPCR seems to be blinking in even numbers.Any ideas what may have caused my house to start sending random X-10 commands and what can I do to make it stop. Is X10 outdated and should I be going to another product?
    Thanks
    Dan

Dan,
    It's noise on the powerline but finding it is not easy. My best advice would be to shut off a breaker at a time to isolate the nosie to a particular breaker and then look for the cause plugged into this circuit.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, that should narrow it down. Another question regarding light bulbs. I have been replacing my standard bulbs as they go out with the screw in fluroscents. I think I read someone that these will cause noise, is this correct and if so it really sounds like I need to look at something other than X10
      Thanks

Dan

Comment

Yes they can cause noise and these compact flo's are problems for many switches due to the inability to be dimmed. If you want to use these you may have to move over to relay switches.

Comment

I started flipping breakers as suggested and found that the lighting circuit for the living room was causing the problem. I have hardly anything on this circuit and after flipping the breaker back on the bad signals went away. Is this a symptom that X10 will have occasionally? Below is a bit of the log file.

2/15/2009 11:32:01 AM ~!~X10 Received~!~ A On
          2/15/2009 11:32:01 AM ~!~X10 Received~!~A7 (?) A On
          2/15/2009 11:32:04 AM ~!~X10 Received~!~A7 (?) A On
          2/15/2009 11:32:08 AM ~!~X10 Received~!~ A On
          2/15/2009 11:32:08 AM ~!~X10 Received~!~A7 (?) A On

Thanks
          Dan

Comment

dimmers?
            CFLs?

Comment

Do you happen to use any of the X10 flood lights? These seem to "flood" the powerline from time to time as well.

Comment

Dan,

Part of your original post was "should I change technologies?" I would encourage you to change technologies, if your budget allows for it. You'll save yourself SO much potential headache down the road. UPB and Zwave are the to most popular with most people. you can research until forever about the differences between the two, but either one would be better than x10 as far as dealing with noise and having reliability.

here's a google search that shows all the recent discussions between zwave and upb.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei....com+upb+zwave

Ian
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

While I had the breaker off I tested all of the outlets and switches to see what was on this breaker and the only things were 1. the two outside sconce wall lights, 2. a table lamp in the living room. 3. A rf receiver for X-10 signals. I unplugged the rf receiver before turning off of the breaker and that did not take care of the problem. I guess I'll just put it down as a fluke. I'll probably make use of the 5 or 6 X-10 devices that I have and migrate to one of the other technologies for future expansion. I just purchased an Ocelot. Any suggestions what devices to go with so that I can use my Ocelot with X-10 and the other type of equipment?
                  Thanks
                  Dan

Comment

...If the noise you see is "only" one house code A (not common..) then just simply move to another and see if that is any better.

There are two house codes (cant remember which) that are best avoided when experiencing interference... I am sure someone will chip in with the answer...

David
                    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

they would be A and P, A is the default code and also the one things default to when batteries go dead and P is used more as a test for a lot of the X10 testers.
                      Marty
                      ------
                      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

The Ocelot only supports x10, and sort of insteon. I use my ocelot as a controller for the secu16IR and secu16 i/0. The beautiful thing about HS is that you use mix and match. use x10 where you want/can (it's cheap, and you already have some hardware). Add UPB or Zwave where you want, let HS control it all for you!
                        Plugins:
                        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                          they would be A and P, A is the default code and also the one things default to when batteries go dead and P is used more as a test for a lot of the X10 testers.

Hi - I am not sure.. I kinda remember K being a bad one, as the two to avoid were effectivley all ones or all zeros in the data.

David
                          ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

I always had problems with J, but who knows....
                            Plugins:

Comment

I have a general comment/question. I seem to have periods (months at a time) where x10 works flawlessly. Then I will have a period (sometimes weeks) where I have a lot of missed commands and false triggers. I am having one of those periods right now. Is it possible this noise is coming from the power company? I know that my power company has installed "smart" meters and power saving water heater disconnect switches. So I believe they are sending out lots of signals over the power lines. I also know the power company is installing a lot of load management equipment. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge in this area?

Steve Q
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                              X