Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 and Edgeport 8-port problem - no device control

Hi folks
    Maybe someone can help me. I don't know exactly what happened with my setup, I could swear it started after I downloaded the latest version of HS, but it could be after I installed the Edgeport 8-port, or the W800RF32. (Did all near same time). Weird thing is everything was working at one time. Now, HS runs fine for a day or two, and then all of a sudden, no more device control, nothing. and status does not update. I *think* HS is still running fine (logs seem ok, but then there was one day where the logs were NOT updating for over a day). Any ideas? Is there a good approach to determine the culprit? I don't know if it's HS or the Communication to the Edgeport box, etc.
    Thanks
    Brian

I have an 8 port edgeport on 2 machines with HS and haven't had any issues that point to the drivers. What versions of windows and HS are you running?
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I've also had very good performance from the edgeport/8, it's always been flawless over several versions of HS now. This wouldn't be on Vista would it? I did hear of a few initial problems with drivers on Vista.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

No problems with Edgeport-8 until I extended it's reach with a USB->CAT5e->USB extention. When directly attached to XP and HS 2.3.0.39 everything is good. I even had a test box running Vista for awhile and had no problems.
        -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
        VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
        Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

...Edgeport 16 here, running 2.3.0.19 and no issues around serial control on Win 2k3 server.

David
          ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Is the light on the edgeport red or green? flashing or not?
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Generally it's green when it's inactive, mine flashes sort of an orange color often with it checking temp sensors fairly often.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I have 4 2 port edgeports with zero issues on a hometroller, I used to have an 8 port connected but with 3 w800's in the mix the light was often red, switching to the separate units allowed me to put each w800 on it own edgeport along with other devices. I am guessing with all the ds10a's and motion sensors I have there was just too much traffic on one USB port
                Over The Hill
                What Hill?
                Where?
                When?
                I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by KBF100 View Post
                  Hi folks
                  Maybe someone can help me. I don't know exactly what happened with my setup, I could swear it started after I downloaded the latest version of HS, but it could be after I installed the Edgeport 8-port, or the W800RF32. (Did all near same time). Weird thing is everything was working at one time. Now, HS runs fine for a day or two, and then all of a sudden, no more device control, nothing. and status does not update. I *think* HS is still running fine (logs seem ok, but then there was one day where the logs were NOT updating for over a day). Any ideas? Is there a good approach to determine the culprit? I don't know if it's HS or the Communication to the Edgeport box, etc.
                  Thanks
                  Brian
                  I have an 8 port. Never one issue. Great Windows driver.
                  Device manager in Windows show consecutive COM ports assigned? No dupes from other serial devices?

Comment

Thanks for the help folks! I'll try to answer everyone's questions and let you know what I did in the meantime to perhaps help with finding the root cause.

Current setup...

HS: 2.3.0.19
                    EdgePort Driver: 5.0.0.0 (I think it's the Windows driver?)

For equipment... I have a CM11A, UPB-PIM, and W800 (all serial interfaces) connected to the Edgeport (only using 3 ports out of the 8).

When the system was NOT working, I did notice the Edgeport status blinking red once every second or two (it never blinked green). Once I reboot and everything restarts, it blinks green again once every few seconds (all the time).

Regarding some of the comments about COM ports... Honestly, I dont remember doing anything strange with COM ports after installing the Edgeport, as I matter of fact, I can't even remember if I am using the Windows driver or the Edgeport driver. I think I just plugged in the Edgeport and did not really configure anything. And now that I think about it, when I ran the Edgeport utility, it did show some strange status for the ports. It said something like 3 ports where "OPEN" and 5 ports "Passed"? I didn't think anything of it at the time, but maybe the Edgeport is not configured right, since I only have 3 ports connected. Wouldn't they be the "Passed" status? So I am not ruling out my COM ports are misconfigured. Strange thing though... is it works on a reboot, but then later does not work.

To help find root cause, what I did for now, was to remove the CM11A interface from the Edgeport and connect it to a separate USB-RS232 cable on the PC. Perhaps this way I will be able to tell if the entire system is failing (HS) or if just the Edgeport or communication to the Edgeport is the problem. No failures yet. Usually it takes a full day or two to stop working.

I will update this thread later with the results. In the meantime, based on the information I provided, if anyone knows why this may be failing, please chime in. Thanks again everyone.
                    Brian

Comment

It almost sounds as though you didn't install the edgeport drivers with the configuration utility and windows is trying to manage it as opposed to edgeport.
                      Marty
                      ------

Comment

I would agree with Marty. you can find the drivers/utility from here:

http://www.digi.com/support/productd...8&osvid=0&tp=1

Ian
                        Plugins:
                        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Thanks Marty and Ian. I also suspected the driver until I just looked. It now appears I did install the Digi drivers. I attached screeenshots of my config in Device Manager. Does your look similar? Still puzzled.

No problems today since I moved the CM11A off onto the separate USB-RS232 adapter. Still monitoring.

Brian
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you have it all installed although you are using a much newer driver than I. I'm still using ver 3.60, never had a need to update it.
                            Marty
                            ------

Comment

Maybe phantom ports??

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=110607

Or

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=102217

Comment

Working...
                              X