Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control Hot tub

Hello,

Has anyone come up with a method of controlling a Hot Tub (mine is Hotsprings), via Homeseer?

My use for this would be that I could keep the temperature turned down a little (and get its status in HS), and then press a button on HS Touch to warm it up to a certain temperature.

I googled and can't see anyone doing this - however there is a remote control I think for it so maybe this is the path to follow...

Any ideas or anyone doing something similar

Jon

After a lot of research, it appears that the brains of my hot tub (IQ2020), whilst having some level of interface, there appears to be nobody online that has linked an x10 module or similar to the board - there also appears to be a lack of schematic to work out how to do this.

So, my thoughts are that I can control the power to the tub by using one of these

http://www.smarthome.com/2494S220/Sw...closure/p.aspx

Insteon 220v switch.

So that just leaves me to get a good temperature reading from a water based thermostat. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this. My HS system has the Elk M1 which has a thermostat capability, but not a water option - so this leaves me looking at technologies I have no experience with - I am thinking RFXCOM or Z-Wave -

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by nojstevens View Post
      So that just leaves me to get a good temperature reading from a water based thermostat. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this.
      Jon
      Rather than a water based thermostat, have you thought about attaching a temperature sensor to the outside of the tub or to the recirculating pump tubing. This may not give you the exact temperature but it would be close enough to know when to turn on the power.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I have found out that the Elk thermostat probe can be put in water, so I think I have a solution.

My only concern is that I might damage the tub by controlling it by cutting the power? The other thing I would need to do is have a switch in HS to say that the tub is in use to prevent it cutting the juice when people are in it

Just realized I can run sound to the stereo aux on it also, so can make it a zone on my Russound and get voice notifications whilst in the tub - very cool.

Jon

Comment

Hot tub control is on my short list for finalizing integration with HS. Here is what I've done so far and decided to expand upon.

I bought an Oregon Scientific THWR800 floating wireless sensor. It has a large LCD display for temps over 3 digits and costs about $45. The temp sensor sends the temp to HS via my RFXComm dual band (310/433 MHz) receiver. So far Bert's RFXComm plug in supports it. I've been prodding Jon Ort to have his ACRF2 plug in support it too, but we have had problems with my capture of it's signal. Anyway it will support it some day and then I can try to incorporate HS temp control.

My heater unit is controlled by a universal module via X10. This is also how I control the valves (Jandy rotators). This part of my system is my own custom hardware, nothing too fancy. Your could also use the Rain8 or Relay8 instead of universal moduals. The pool pump has a dedicated heavy duty 220V switch (ELK-9100).

That leaves the software, always my limiting factor. I've not found anyone who has pool/spa control SW. Would love to find something the equivalent of mcsSprinklers for pool/spa control. I currently just use events to control my valves and pump based on Pool, Spa, or Cool Down Events. The thermostat control is not yet implemented.
          Last edited by Mr Spock; February 23, 2009, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Would love to be able to control the hot tub - however, too many other variables (i.e. filters, etc.) to deal with.

Comment

I've been controlling my hot tub for a couple of years using Homeseer. I have a Oregon Scientific floating sensor sending its signal to ACRF. I have the sensor set up as "Oregon Temperature - TEMP2 THN132N,THWR288A" in ACRF and it reads it perfectly. As a backup I also installed an Oregon remote water sensor that has a 10 ft lead in the drain inlet. Between the two of them I get a good consistent reading.

I have older equipment so I was able to bypass the old thermostat and replace it with relays that are controlled by my ELK. It all works great.

I use MCSTemperature to maintain the desired setpoint.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Pat

Comment

Pat/Beerguy I sent you a PM.

Comment

Mr Spock - not sure what I did but your PM disappeared after I read it once. I can't find it for the life of me. Can you resend?

Comment

Mr Spock,

This sounds very interesting - what Spa do you have? I have the Hotspring Aria which uses the IC2020 controller - but I can't find anyone online who has integrated with one of these.

I am considering just cutting the power using an Insteon 220v switch when the temp is at the right level, but I am not sure if this will cause issues -i.e. is there other things going on in the hot tub that having the power chopped would mess up

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon

My hot tub is actually part of my pool. I control the pool pump with the ELK-9100 heavy duty switch. I rotate the input and output Jandy valves using the Jandy JVA2444 rotator/actuators. They run off 24VAC. I turn the heater on/off using an X10 universal module, but any relay (such as the Rain8 or Relay8) can do the job. To switch between "pool mode" and "spa mode" and "cool down mode" I use HS events.

In your case I think you will need the schematic of your hot tub's controller. If you can't find it on the internet with a Goggle search I suggest you call the manufacturer. They will probably just email you a .pdf, but worst case you may have to pay them a couple $ for it.

The temp control will be a new implementation for me. Previously I just used the heaters built in thermostat, which never really worked too well. Going forward I plan on using the Oregon THWR800 floating sensor and MCStemperature.

Comment

Pat, I resent it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
                          Hi Jon

My hot tub is actually part of my pool. I control the pool pump with the ELK-9100 heavy duty switch. I rotate the input and output Jandy valves using the Jandy JVA2444 rotator/actuators. They run off 24VAC. I turn the heater on/off using an X10 universal module, but any relay (such as the Rain8 or Relay8) can do the job. To switch between "pool mode" and "spa mode" and "cool down mode" I use HS events.

In your case I think you will need the schematic of your hot tub's controller. If you can't find it on the internet with a Goggle search I suggest you call the manufacturer. They will probably just email you a .pdf, but worst case you may have to pay them a couple $ for it.

The temp control will be a new implementation for me. Previously I just used the heaters built in thermostat, which never really worked too well. Going forward I plan on using the Oregon THWR800 floating sensor and MCStemperature.
                          Yeah, I think your right - schematic would quickly show if there are exposed parts i can interface with or not. I know it has an RF option and RF remote, I guess the other approach is therefore to see if the RF is published anywhere and pretend to be the remote.

I am surprised that this is not something that is more commonly requested - I contacted HotSprings and they were not really helpful, referred me to my dealer - who doesn't have a clue what I am talking about. I guess some California Spa dealerships may have some answers for me?

Thanks for your input

Jon

Comment

Mr Spock,

I've found this - which seems to offer some external interface options - all I really want to control is the heater anyway.

From your experience, looking at this item, do you think a simple X10 relay or the Rain8 type sprinkler interfaces could interface with this - simply turn on heater and turn off heater - getting the temp from the Oregon device you mentioned?

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by nojstevens View Post
                              Mr Spock,

I've found this - which seems to offer some external interface options - all I really want to control is the heater anyway.

From your experience, looking at this item, do you think a simple X10 relay or the Rain8 type sprinkler interfaces could interface with this - simply turn on heater and turn off heater - getting the temp from the Oregon device you mentioned?

Jon
                              Sorry - forgot link

http://www.backyardplus.com/proddetail.php?prod=74618

Comment

Working...
                              X