What Serial Thermostat to go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Serial Thermostat to go with?

I am looking for a serial Thermostat. I beleve I am down to two of them. I am looking at the HAI Omnistat2, or the RCS TR40. What one is better?

I'm a big fan of the RCS stats and their tech support is second to none.
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/HVAC-C38.aspx
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I haven't used the HAI, but I am using multiple RCS TR40's. They are excellent and the HomeSeer Technologies plug-in works flawlessly.

Comment

I have been running the Aprilaire stat's for well over a year with 0 issues.
        HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Hello everybody!

According to me HAI Omnistat2 is better!

The Omnistat2 line from HAI offers the latest in programmable communicating thermostats. It includes all the standard features such as creating a 7-day schedule with separate weekday, Saturday and Sunday heating schedules; as well as a vacation mode. It is also fully interactive with the Omni family of HAI Central Automation Controllers. What really makes this line of thermostats unique is the ability to learn your patterns of operation and use that information to create maximum efficiency; conserving energy while keeping you comfortable. Generally up to half of your electric bill can be accounted for by your heating and cooling system, so managing them is the best way to cut energy costs.

Comment

With HS in control, you don't need the 'built in' schedules, etc. unless HS is only monitoring. I've had a RCS stat for about three years now working flawlessly.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Two RCS zone controllers here...
              HS: 2.5.0.60
              Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
              Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
              Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
              Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
              Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
              UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
              Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

I have three HAI Omnistat2s. They work great with HS except for a couple of minor features (such as accumulated weekly runtime counter) which aren't working since the plug-in hasn't been updated to support the new stats specifically.

Don

Comment

TR40 help needed

I bought 2 of these on Best Buy auction site. (only $28.00 a piece!!) I have 2 heating systems, one for each floor of my house. I understand how to hook them up to the HVAC equipment. I would like to integrate them to Homeseer to log and monitor only, for now, but I do not understand the serial hook up part. Specifically, the cabling. Any help?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by scottp73 View Post
                    I am looking for a serial Thermostat. I beleve I am down to two of them. I am looking at the HAI Omnistat2, or the RCS TR40. What one is better?
                    I had used both and which one is better will depend on your application. TR40 has less features but in my view it is also more reliable in serial communications and the wiring is more straightforward. Omnistat2 has more features, I really like the proximity sensor and the humidity display, but the integration with HS is not as smooth, and the current HS plugin does not use the new features. TR40 was also not good for a bedroom because it had a very bright display, but maybe RCS has since fixed that.

Comment

Working...
                    X