Which format to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which format to use?

I am at a loss right now on what I should do. I have insteon downstairs in my basement at seven switches with 3 lamp modules. Plus I have the wireless remote which I think is great. I don't have a lot but still a little bit of money invested. I have not had any problems with insteon but people keep telling me that z-wave has more outlets and is much more proconsumer. I am going to be adding another 16 switches to my house plus numerous lamp modules or plugins. I don't know if I should get rid of the insteon or stay with the line. The one thing I do need is the 5 downstairs to be gray. I just don't seem find any unless they are terribly expensive. I do also like the z-wave that don't need a neutral because I don't have any neutral and that would save me many, many hours. I will also be researching more about homeseer to learn more about how it works and what it can do for me.
    What kinds of things do you think are necessary for a nice system?
    Last edited by ; February 28, 2009, 12:38 PM.

Welcome to the HomeSeer message board.
    If you are not having any issues with Insteon then why switch? I would fire up HomeSeer on a test PC and see how it reacts. Some users have good luck with Insteon and some do not. The beauty of using HomeSeer is that you can use Insteon, Z-Wave, X10, UPB, etc all at the same time. This allows you to pick and choose the best devices that each protocol has to offer.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The biggest issue I have is that I don't have neutral wires going into any of my switches. I had to run them downstairs which required a LOT of time and hard work. I like the idea of 2 wire switches that z wave has but don't like the color choice that they limit you to. I know that the expensive line has choices but I can't see spending the price they charge for the choice. I could buy 3 z-wave switches for that. I want to be able to use a remote control to run all my lighting. A harmony 1100 or anything with that shape or design. I am very much still going crazy with all the choices that are out there.
      Thanks for all your help Rupp.

Comment

What odds are there that z-wave will add gray to their color choices???

Comment

Don't forget that there's x10 and this protocol still works well for many users. Let us know if there's anything we can help with.

Comment

I have tried x10 and have not had very good luck with it in my home.

Comment

Bummer. The problem with gray must be a supply and demand. Maybe ask the "better half" if you can switch it to white or ivory?

Comment

Originally posted by ingeborgdot View Post
                What odds are there that z-wave will add gray to their color choices???
                You might be able to get gray now with Leviton. I think I remember seeing a 'color kit' on the Leviton website that offered colors that aren't sold with the switches. Check there.

Comment

Yeah, I think you are right but I think it is for the switch that is around 120 to 140 bucks.

Comment

I have the same problem in my house that you have - (no neutral in the box) Z-wave dimmers don't require a neutral. I have 50 + devices in my place that work very well together( all z-wave-different manufacturers) Leviton has a color change kit to gray which goes on any of their dimmers.

Comment

Working...
                    X