Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help: How do I check if the front door is LOCKED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presenting my solution!
    I'm sure this won't be possible for many others except me to do, but here goes.

I got a micro switch like this:

Then I removed the wheel and bent the handle around the bottom corner, so it looks something like this:

This is the door with the lock bolt out:

And here's the frame with the switch installed:

Now I just have to make it pretty...
    Attached Files
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Does DS10A need X10 alarm panel or how does it work with HomeSeer?

Originally posted by RAM View Post
      I just did this last week and it is working great. I got some small high strength magnets off eBay (one seller had a sample pack of 5 for a few bucks) and drilled and cemented one of them in the end of the deadbolt. I then got the type of magnetic switches made for door frames that you just drill a 3/8" hole to install them. I put one of those in the frame such that the magnet in the bolt activated it when the deadbolt was locked. I connected the magnetic switch up to a DS10A and set up some devices and events in HomeSeer to provide me the info on lock status.
      I'm interested in using the DS10A for deadbolt monitoring. How do I get HomeSeer to receive the signal from it? I have some X10 wireless receivers. I'd rather not "invest" in the X10 alarm panel.

I'd also like to use the DS10A to monitor my son's and daughter's rooms for open windows; I don't need to heat or cool the Las Vegas Valley/Mojave Desert.

Comment

WGL W800 Receiver or the RFXCom Reciever and the ACRF2 Plugin
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?
        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Can the W800RF32A - X10 RF Receiver Kit (WGL) be connected with a USB-Serial converter cable? Will plug-in work with USB version from WGL?

Comment

I have my W800's connected using edgeports (usb to serial)
            Over The Hill
            What Hill?
            Where?
            When?
            I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Any USB will work with a USB-Serial converter, providing HS supports the input data you are trying to connect.

It is your comuter that detect the data and a USB-Serial provides the same data as a usb PORT. You just require the drivers to let MS see the USB-Serial as a USB.
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                Looks good!

Where do you buy magnets and magnetic switches?
                I found 3/16" and 1/8" by 1/16 or 1/32 inch thick neodymium rare earth magnets at kjmagnetics.com. They range in price from $0.80 to a $1.40 for 10. Shipping is $7+ for UPS Ground. I think they are in PA.

I checked my deadbolts; they have a 3/16" dia. recess by maybe an 1/8" deep built in.

Smarthome has a 10 pack of hidden 3/8" magnetic contacts for $34.99 or $3.99 each. I'm not sure but I think Fry's also has the contacts.

Comment

How to indicate fenestrations are open?

Originally posted by RAM View Post
                  I just did this last week and it is working great. I got some small high strength magnets off eBay (one seller had a sample pack of 5 for a few bucks) and drilled and cemented one of them in the end of the deadbolt. I then got the type of magnetic switches made for door frames that you just drill a 3/8" hole to install them. I put one of those in the frame such that the magnet in the bolt activated it when the deadbolt was locked. I connected the magnetic switch up to a DS10A and set up some devices and events in Homeseer to provide me the info on lock status.
                  Now that I have the DS10A's, W800, and figured out how to use them, what sort of devices and events are you using?

I have a 12 volt Red/Blue rotating LED device I plan to use for doors unlocked. It's placed so that it can be seen from downstairs and upstairs, but will only indicate one or more of four doors is/are unlocked. Right now I have two computers that have touch screens and access to HS; the HS computer and a remote computer in the computer room. (Woo sooo many uses of the word computer in one sentence; is there a synonym for computer?)

Is there a good way to indicate in HS Touch via blinking "light/button" on the main page to check the Window/Door status page to see which fenestration is open?

Comment

Originally posted by vegascat View Post
                    Is there a good way to indicate in HS Touch via blinking "light/button" on the main page to check the Window/Door status page to see which fenestration is open?
                    As far as i know we're still waiting to be able to use animated gifs in HST.
                    Marty
                    ------
                    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Any tips for drilling holes in door frame?

Any tips from experienced users out there on how to best drill holes in door frame and wall to install the "hidden" 3/8" magnetic sensor attached to the DS10A?

The rare-earth magnet was the easy part; for some reason the deadbolt was pre-drilled and the magnet "stuck" with magnetism. Should I glue the magnet to prevent it from attaching to a passing metal object?

Comment

Working...
                      X