homeseer and IR blaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homeseer and IR blaster

Searched high and low but cant seem to figure out a wireless way of using homeseer to to control ir devices(TV , dvd , sat box)
    I am new to homeseer and am in the process of setting up a new system using zwave only. i am setting up a pc (xp) to work as the base station. a laptop and my iphone will connect either via internal network or internet to control homeseer. i cant find hardware/software to allow homeseer to send a wireless signal ( zwave, or 802.11) to a IR blaster that can then control my tv/dvd/amplifier etc. Please help!

You can use a "powermid" ( http://www.nextag.com/remote-control-extender/shop-html )wireless IR transmitter to send an IR signal via RF from room to room. This works quite well and many people here are using it. Although not exactly what you are asking for, it is very reliable and very inexpensive.

I am not aware of a device that can receive 802.11 signals and convert them to IR.

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

thanks for your response- i appreciate your willingness to help.

let me clarify!!, i did find all these RF extenders that you linked too.
      the question is " how to get homeseer to control the reciever part""

from what i can tell, you have to use that special remote or battery within the remote to generate the signal..

my goal is to program home seer to control the reciever part -attached to the ir ports of different devices.

then i can use a laptop or iphone to control all av devices via homeseer

Comment

for eg: if i install the first ir blaster that appears on the link above:
        Next Generation Remote Range Xtender

or for that matter
        Logitech Harmony RF Wireless Extender

or any other ir blaster into the same cabinet and connect to the tv,dvd etc.

then, can i get homeseer to send a zwave or wireless signal to these devices,

Comment

You need an IR sender/receiver connected to Homeseer. I use the USBUIRT (www.usbuirt.com) - works great. This will allow homeseer to send and receive IR commands. You can then transmit the IR signal to your home theater gear via a powermid (or the range extenders) or via a wired IR (Buffalo or Xantech) extender. This allows Homeseer to control your Home theater.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

thanks a lot. will be starting setup soon, as soon as all the hardware arrives.

Comment

Another approach

This may be overkill but you could use a Bitwise BC4 located wherever your AV equipment is and then you can connect it back to the HomeSeer PC via whatever network connection is easiest (it comes with a wired PoE port, but you can easily get Powerline or Wireless adaptors).

This might appeal if the built-in IR library is likely to save you a lot of time and hassle, or if you need the additional features like the RS232 port, relays or the built in temp sensor.

Comment

Working...
              X