Conditions: somebody home or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conditions: somebody home or not?

I would like to have a different set of event actions according to whether I am home or not home. Like when I am away on a trip have different lights go on and off. How do I tell Homeseer I am home or not and have events depend on that??

Thanks!

I use a virtual device that is turned on when i am away (automatically when the alarm is set to away mode) I then use that as a condition in many events.

I believe most users here have a similar approach.

Neil
    Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Many of us use the DooMotion plugin which manages motion sensors like the inexpensive X10 sensors. Then once one of more (manageable via the plugin) are showing motion the house is occupied. Then you can check your occupancy sensor in your events and act accordingly.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I use a virtual device. When our alarm is set in Away mode, the virtual device is turned on. I then have events that check the state of the device as a condition. Some fire only if the device is on. Others do not fire if the device is on.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I also use a virtual device as my Away switch and code my events based if the switch is on or off. I currently use a light switch in my garage that I turn on/off and is NOT connected to a light. It sets the variable for away or home. I am also looking for a better way to set the variable since this is not very secure. I am interested in other approaches that are not alarm keypads.

Comment

Using a virtual device here as well as a condition for my away mode. It can be triggered either by the alarm being set or a UPB keypad or double tapping selected switches or by all of our cars being gone in case the last person out forgets to set it.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

confused

I am confused by what you all mean by "virtual device".

I am wondering if there is some setting or condition I can create inside HSII and click some box when I am home or not.

Comment

I think the easiest way to get your arms around the 'Virtual Device' concept is to try it.

Create a device.
                Give it a House Code of 'H' and a unit code of '99' (for example).
                Name the device "Home"
                Now, you can select the 'On' or 'Off' buttons on the Status page to turn this imaginary device on or off.

That's what we all call a 'virtual' device. There is no corresponding physical device that relates to it. The great thing is that you can use it like any other device in HS. So, you can set up an event to turn some lights on at dusk. Then you can add a condition to the event that requires your 'Home' device (H99) to be off. That way, the event will only turn on those lights if you have told HS you are not home.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

That's as good an explanation of a virtual as I've heard. I had a hard time getting my head around them at the start too, now I have lots of them and would be lost if I couldn't use them.
                  Marty
                  ------
                  XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I use RFID tags on the cars and car keys. Their state updates virtual devices to say who is 'here' and who is 'away'. Other events/scripts use that information to direct their actions.

Comment

Now I get it!

Ok, now I get the virtual device thing, that is what I wanted, thanks!

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                      I think the easiest way to get your arms around the 'Virtual Device' concept is to try it.

Create a device.
                      Give it a House Code of 'H' and a unit code of '99' (for example).
                      Name the device "Home"
                      Now, you can select the 'On' or 'Off' buttons on the Status page to turn this imaginary device on or off.

That's what we all call a 'virtual' device. There is no corresponding physical device that relates to it. The great thing is that you can use it like any other device in HS. So, you can set up an event to turn some lights on at dusk. Then you can add a condition to the event that requires your 'Home' device (H99) to be off. That way, the event will only turn on those lights if you have told HS you are not home.

Comment

I use a remote to turn my virtual device on and off. I also use Custom Security for my home security. When leaving, I turn off "I am Home" virtual device with remote, then press "Away" on my Custom Security panel. I do the reverse when I come home.

Does anyone know how I can get "Away" and "Not Away" information from the Custom Security hardware? The techs from Custom Security do not know. That way, all I would have to do is set the Custom Security leaving and arriving.

Walt

Comment

I don't know anything about the custom Security panel but almost all security panels will at minimum allow an output of one type or another based on armed away or armed stay or off. With that output be it a relay closure or x10 output whatever, you could trigger your virtual device on or off.
                          Marty
                          ------

Comment

Working...
                          X