UPNP Discovery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPNP Discovery...

Yesterday, after doing my monthly Windows Update, I rebooted my HS PC and when HS came up I started getting this Warning message in the log:
    5/13/2009 5:33:16 PM ~!~Warning~!~UPNP Discovery is not running, most likely your PC does not have a valid IP address, will try to enable later: An invalid argument was supplied
    5/13/2009 5:33:16 PM ~!~Warning~!~If this system is not on a network, disable UPNP in Setup.
    5/13/2009 5:33:46 PM ~!~Warning~!~UPNP Discovery is not running, most likely your PC does not have a valid IP address, will try to enable later: An invalid argument was supplied
    5/13/2009 5:33:46 PM ~!~Warning~!~If this system is not on a network, disable UPNP in Setup.

It repeated about every 30 seconds. There wasn't anything wrong with my IP and I had network connectivity in all other respects, at least as far as I could tell. So, In General, Other Settings I set:
    HomeSeer is Discoverable Using UPNP: NO <-- was YES

This got rid of the error message, but I wonder why I received this error now and what I may be missing (if anything) by turning off UPNP Discovery in HS?

Thanks
    Gary
    HomeSeer Version: Standard Edition 2.3.0.19
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Work Station
    OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack: 3.0

HSTouch will not work with this off. Otherwise you probably will not notice.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

An invalid argument was supplied??

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Bad deal! I haven't got back to HSTouch yet; probably the reason I didnt notice any difference. Any way to find out what the "invalid argument" that was supplied is, and/or what it is looking for?

Thanks
      Gary

Comment

Have you tried rebooting the server once more to make sure your UPNP found the pc's ipaddress? Do you have more thatn one network setup on this PC?

Comment

Rupp,

HSTouch works fine with my system with UPNP turned off.

Judd

Comment

Originally posted by jpape View Post
            Rupp,
            HSTouch works fine with my system with UPNP turned off.
            Judd
            Good to know! Thanks for the feedback.

Have you tried rebooting the server once more to make sure your UPNP found the pc's ipaddress?
            Yes. Not sure why UPNP would not be able to find the IP Address. Its a static IP address and everything else finds it just fine.

Do you have more thatn one network setup on this PC?
            No.

It would be helpful if HS would provide more information about what triggered this error. Specifically, what argument was provided and what argument (s) would be considered acceptable. With that information, I might know where to start to look for what has changed. Again, other than the Windows updates, nothing changed prior to the first reboot.

With regard to the Windows updates installed yesterday:
            1. nVidia - Network - NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
            2. Digi International - Other hardware - Edgeport/4
            3. Digi International - Other hardware - Edgeport/8
            4. Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP

I'm not sure what the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator is, but I will see if I can configure and/or uninstall it to see if that makes a difference. Other suggestions/insights are appreciated.

Thanks
            Gary

Comment

Rupp, think I should submit a ticket on this?

Thanks
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                Rupp, think I should submit a ticket on this?

Thanks
                Gary
                Unfortunately the help desk is closed for issues other than RMA's and licensing. The new support model is a paid model but you get priority support. http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=990

Comment

Unfortunately the help desk is closed for issues other than RMA's and licensing. The new support model is a paid model but you get priority support. http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=990
                  Interesting. If one wished to sign up, how do you go about doing that?

Thanks
                  Gary

Comment

Need to click on User CP (User Control Panel) and then at the bottom of the navigation menu on the left is "Paid Subscriptions" I'll update the main thread with this information.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                      Good to know! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes. Not sure why UPNP would not be able to find the IP Address. Its a static IP address and everything else finds it just fine.

No.

It would be helpful if HS would provide more information about what triggered this error. Specifically, what argument was provided and what argument (s) would be considered acceptable. With that information, I might know where to start to look for what has changed. Again, other than the Windows updates, nothing changed prior to the first reboot.

With regard to the Windows updates installed yesterday:
                      1. nVidia - Network - NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
                      2. Digi International - Other hardware - Edgeport/4
                      3. Digi International - Other hardware - Edgeport/8
                      4. Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP

I'm not sure what the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator is, but I will see if I can configure and/or uninstall it to see if that makes a difference. Other suggestions/insights are appreciated.

Thanks
                      Gary
                      I have just un-installed IE8 and now believe that my UPNP error messages have been resolved.

Comment

Working...
                      X