X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get RFXCom in the US?

Help dear HS folk...

I saw it 48 hours ago. I apparently didn't bookmark it. :-(

Where in the good ol' USA can I purchase an RFXCom in the USA? I'm in FL.

I'm so mad, I didn't bookmark it, and I can't find the right search terms to re-locate the info in the boards. Maybe the benefit tonight will be that multiple sources might show up in replies..?

I've just never ordered overseas, am not crazy about the ship-time, customs, etc.

On a sidenote, feel free to add a Yay or Nay on getting the RFXCom based on my scenario:
    - want to use a pile of DS10A's for door/gate/other doorways (love Z-Wave but at $40+ per sensor it (or my wife) will kill me for the bunch of spots I want to put these
    - have seen problematic support/updating in the boards with the ACRF plugin that would deal with a W800
    - might want to add Oregon Scientific bits later, which could report to an add-on 433 into the RFXCom

Make enough sense that I should press on? (no pun intended!)

I purchased one from RFXCom.com a couple months ago and was very pleased with the shipping time (arrived in only a 4 days), and had no problems.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dhayner View Post
      On a sidenote, feel free to add a Yay or Nay on getting the RFXCom based on my scenario:
      - want to use a pile of DS10A's for door/gate/other doorways (love Z-Wave but at $40+ per sensor it (or my wife) will kill me for the bunch of spots I want to put these
      - have seen problematic support/updating in the boards with the ACRF plugin that would deal with a W800
      - might want to add Oregon Scientific bits later, which could report to an add-on 433 into the RFXCom

Make enough sense that I should press on? (no pun intended!)
      I'm using a 'pile' of DS10A's for door/windows, but am using W800/ACRF-2.
      My 8 Oregon sensors are using the RFXCom.

All seems to be working fine. I could probably eliminate the W800/ACRF-2 and go with all RFXCom, but the plug-in is in danger of not being supported (see other threads). For now, it suits my needs, but is a little overkill.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
        I could probably eliminate the W800/ACRF-2 and go with all RFXCom, but the plug-in is in danger of not being supported (see other threads). For now, it suits my needs, but is a little overkill.
        The way I'm reading this makes it sound like the RFXCom plugin is in danger of no longer being supported but this is not true.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          The way I'm reading this makes it sound like the RFXCom plugin is in danger of no longer being supported but this is not true.
          ah - got my wires crossed - thanks for the clarification. It's the ACRF-2 according to this thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=135847

Although post #8 is a little confusing.

Thanks - sorry for the confusion.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I've got the ACRF2 plugin and will expand to the RFXCOM plugin.
            I decided to go with the ACRF2 because I think (as interpreted from Bert) that the RFXCOM plugin is a bit more fussy with the DS10 frequency. The ACRF2 is a bit more forgiving and will allow for less precision in the transmitting frequency.

From Bert....

The DS10a sensors are received by the 310MHz RFXCOM receiver and the RFXCOM plug-in will process them correctly.

The RFXCOM receiver has a band pass filter of 600kHz and the DS10a are sometimes transmitting outside this frequency. The range will be limited than but tuning the DS10a by bending the antenna coil inside the DS10a a little bit towards or away from the printed circuit board is possible to set for maximum distance. The antenna coil is a 3/4 turn wire of about 5mm diameter.

I already had a W800 so stuck with the plugin. I will buy a RFXCOM receiver sometime in the future as I expand my HS.

rmasonjr - Could you list your Oregon sensors you are using? I am trying to get up to speed with them and issues with devices/channel.

Robert

P.S. Jon Ort is not gone. He resolved my issue last week. I know for sure that there were problems with his e-mail (DNS) which is why there may be so many support requests going unnoticed - just like mine at the time.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

From your post it sounds like you want the dual band RFXcom receiver. The 310MHz band is for X10 USA stuff (palm pad, DS10, MS14, etc.) and the 433MHz band is for the Oregon scientific stuff. I have this receiver (USB version) and it works great.

Cheapertronics sells some of Bert's RFX stuff, but only some. I had to purchase directly from RFXcom in Europe. The only problem was my credit card raped me on the dollar/euro exchange rate AND charged me an exchange fee.

Regarding the plug-in SW. I have the ACRF2 and it works great. However Jon seems to have check out on supporting it. The plug-ins (both ACRF2 and RFXcom) only support the sensors on their respective lists. When something new comes out, the SW author must add support for it. You can't just add it yourself. This means the author must be an active supporter of their SW or the plug-in will become obsolete. Bert is very active in supporting his HW and SW.
              Last edited by Mr Spock; May 16, 2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                ...P.S. Jon Ort is not gone. He resolved my issue last week. I know for sure that there were problems with his e-mail (DNS) which is why there may be so many support requests going unnoticed - just like mine at the time.
                Jon is not gone, but he is being very selective in what he does and what he responds to. I've been in email contact with him repeatedly over the last 5 months, to no avail in support. I've left him several posts in his plug-in area of the forum; no response. For all effective purposes he has checked out on support. I am hoping he comes back, but if he has taken on a new job I'm guessing this won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
                  From your post it sounds like you want the dual band RFXcom receiver. The 310MHz band is for X10 USA stuff (palm pad, DS10, MS14, etc.) and the 433MHz band is for the Oregon scientific stuff. I have this receiver (USB version) and it works great.

Cheapertronics sells some of Bert's RFX stuff, but only some. I had to purchase directly from RFXcom in Europe. The only problem was my credit card raped me on the dollar/euro exchange rate AND charged me an exchange fee.

Regarding the plug-in SW. I have the ACRF2 and it works great. However Jon seems to have check out on supporting it. The plug-ins (both ACRF2 and RFXcom) only support the sensors on their respective lists. When something new comes out, the SW author must add support for it. You can't just add it yourself. This means the author must be an active supporter of their SW or the plug-in will become obsolete. Bert is very active in supporting his HW and SW.

Yes, I saw the dual bad receiver. Which was $230 U.S. Since being in Canada, I have the same issue with exchange as you do, then there's shipping, brokerage etc... Since I already had the W800, I thought it would still save me if I just bought the 433 mhz receiver @150 U.S. and add it.

I know and am very impressed with Bert and his support. I will definitely go with his plugin at some point in the near future. Just all in good time $$$...

I don't know what to say about Jon and his support. I'm hoping this is somewhat temporary.

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I did it.

I bit the bullet, ordered the dual-band from across the pond. Got a prompt shipping confirmation the next day, and now I shall wait. I hate waiting :-(

And, got my 6-for-1 ds10a's too. Then I looked at the pile and noticed I seem to have received 5-for 6-for-1... missing one. Told a "supervisor will get back to you in 1-2 days regarding sending out the 6th." Thanks ex 10 dot com .

I saw recently a post about a sale on some good OS sensors, I think an OS temp + OS temp/hygro for cheap. Anyone recall where the 'steal' was? I am liking the idea of nailing the super-humidity of the shower/bathroom by the wife at 6am by flipping on the TXB-16 A/C if the humidity reaches 99.9% :-D That room wasn't built to be a steam-room, and I'm actually worried about mold/mildew/whatever building in the A/C vent because of the hot-showers-with-door-closed scheme she has sometimes.....

Comment

Nevermind... I remembered Ambient being in the post. They have some sensors in their clearance section too, but I don't know the difference between their models.
                      http://www.ambientweather.com/adse.html

More board searching for me . . .

Comment

AND forget that. It was at OR's own site I finally found what I wanted:
                        http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...id=122&pid=977
                        and got a UV sensor tonight too:
                        http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...cid=89&pid=680
                        From the outlet.....

Hope I helped someone tonight. Gonna need some kinda help when my RFXCOM arrives, I'm sure... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dhayner View Post
                          Nevermind... I remembered Ambient being in the post. They have some sensors in their clearance section too, but I don't know the difference between their models.
                          http://www.ambientweather.com/adse.html

More board searching for me . . .
                          Thanks for this link. I've been hunting all over for some THGR122's. They seem to have been discontinued. Got 'em here!
                          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Per Jon's apparant lack of support for ACRF2. I was probably most vocal in the aforementioned thread and perhaps a bit inequitable. I hope the situation is temporary... he's disappeared before. Meantime, I have to say I find the plugin highly reliable. It's just that I'd like to see some feature requests addressed or at least acknowledged.
                            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                              Thanks for this link. I've been hunting all over for some THGR122's. They seem to have been discontinued. Got 'em here!
                              What do you find are the big differences with units that seem quite alike, such as your choice of THGR122NX (whats NX?) versus the top of the page's THGR268? I see the obvious price difference, but without much digging, is there a group of OR sensors that are 'good' and a group to stay away from?

Comment

Working...
                              X