Where should i put motion detectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should i put motion detectors?

How many and what location should i put motion detectors? Here is my first floor floor plan. Does the 2nd floor need any?? The image shows no wall between the dining and living room, but there will be a full wall in my house.

Image Removed
    Last edited by killervette; May 19, 2009, 03:21 PM.

Originally posted by killervette View Post
    How many and what location should i put motion detectors? Here is my first floor floor plan. Does the 2nd floor need any?? The image shows no wall between the dining and living room, but there will be a full wall in my house.
    This very much depends on how you are going to use the motion sensors.

If you are planning on controlling the room lights, as I do, you will need at least one sensor in each room. Rooms like the living area I have 3 sensors as it's a large room and to help detect people sitting down. I would certainally have one in the garage which could turn on the inside lights when you come home if they are not already on. As for the sencond floor I would install some sensors even if you are only going to use them for security purposes.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Put in as many as you can afford!

I have at least one in every room. Larger rooms have more. I also have them outside so all windowed walls are monitored. Have one on the back porch and the front porch and one by the garage door. Have one in the tool shed. Have one in our sailboat in the back yard. Have one under the sink where we keep all the household chemicals and cleaners. Have one in the medicine cabinet. Have on inside the gun cabinet. I put them everywhere.

Not all are attached to the alarm system. Many are X10. I say you can't have enough of them. Just like DS10As. You can always find a clever way to utilze one.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
        ...............Have one in our sailboat in the back yard............
        Brilliant idea, I have a nice water feature and a sail boat would look brilliant floating in it, never thought of that garden pond feature.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Not really a water feature....

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
          Brilliant idea, I have a nice water feature and a sail boat would look brilliant floating in it, never thought of that garden pond feature.
          HAH! Its a classic 1964 1 design Oday. Beautiful. A joy to sail. It is now a fort/playhouse for our 7yo son.

I put the motion detector in it to make sure we know when someone or someTHING is in it. The boat itself doesn't move much......

Comment

Working...
          X