outdoor temperature is not accurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outdoor temperature is not accurate

I have a LaCrosse weather station ws 23xx series. The outdoor weather sensor right now says it is 88.4F (on both the heavy weather software as well as the vws software). when i google my zip+temp, it comes back as 58F right now. weather.com shows 59, with "feels like" 59.

The indoor temp. sensor built into the device itself is pretty accurate, and I have no idea about the wind/rain/humidity sensors.

The outdoor temp. sensors is mounted 15' high on my garage wall, east facing, in full sun at the moment.

1. what could be causing this?
    2. what do i do about it?

Thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Is the outdoor sensor in one of these?

http://www.btinternet.com/~jon00/pagoda.shtml

If it's just outside in the sun you'll get horribly inaccurate readings.
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Does this station come with a temperature pagoda? I think this is the different between less expensive and more expensive stations. My Davis came with a fan aspirated temperature pagoda and is always in full sun never is affected by the direct sun. The air is circulated into the pagoda constantly which helps with temp accuracy. There used to be directions floating around showing how to construct a pagoda.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        Does this station come with a temperature pagoda? I think this is the different between less expensive and more expensive stations. My Davis came with a fan aspirated temperature pagoda and is always in full sun never is affected by the direct sun. The air is circulated into the pagoda constantly which helps with temp accuracy. There used to be directions floating around showing how to construct a pagoda.
        that was in the post above
        HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Rupp,
          I'll look into building it a pagoda, i wondered if it was something like that, but i had no idea it would be to this extent!

thanks.
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

after reading this in the link that Thymer provided:

"Ideally, it should be located in an area of total shade"

Should I just move the temp sensor up to where it is under the roof eves, so that it is not in direct sunlight?
            Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
              after reading this in the link that Thymer provided:

"Ideally, it should be located in an area of total shade"

Should I just move the temp sensor up to where it is under the roof eves, so that it is not in direct sunlight?
              That's what I did and used one of these:

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html

Comment

I ran into the same problem with my first sensor outside. I ended up putting the sensor behind the speaker grill of the speaker that's in my rear porch ceiling. I had to use a little rubber grommet at the spot i brought the sensor through to keep air flow from getting from the interior ceiling to the sensor. It's been working really well and you'd never know it was there.
                Marty
                ------
                XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I used to use the temp sensor inside my AAG station in my Weather Underground upload. That sensor was in full sun all day. Eventually, Environment Canada complained that my temperatures were way out of line with nearby stations. Long and short, I switched to a sensor which is mounted on the north-east side of the house, directly under the eaves where it never gets direct sun.
                  I still use the station sensor for night-time frost warnings.
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                  X