X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Hershey
    replied
    Originally posted by fezode View Post
    should I get a decent DSC supported panel for security only and let HS handle the rest automation stuff, if the issue is hardware Vs software reliabilities .
    My DSC system worked fine, I just couldn't get enough information from it without the expense of RS-232 module, and the rather inconvenient place it was mounted that made getting RS-232 to Homeseer a bit difficult(complete opposite ends of the house). So...I gave up and made Homeseer the whole security system. Gutted the DSC box and put in contact closure device that indirectly talks to Homeseer (HS), so HS directly and immediately sees all open/close events. Relay device from HS controls the siren, and communication (monitoring) is to me, not an alarm company, via iPhone. I get E-mails now when any door or window is opened, I get E-mail identifying who entered an unlock code on the Schlage locks, and if Armed (via iPhone and HS Touch), any entry triggers a SIP phone call to me. It also triggers HS Netcam to take pictures at the front and back doors and driveway. Z-wave sensors on the gates also figure into the scheme.

HS flashes lights and puts text messages on several LED message boards around the house (used for hearing-impaired family members to display all kinds of stuff, including Caller ID and Doorbell)Haven't done zones or anything (all armed or nothing armed) but been good so far. When armed, a good entry (properly entered Schlage code) disarms the system, so I don't need security panels by the door except to arm the system when leaving...which I usually do by entering a Leaving code into the Schlage deadbolt, or using the iPhone).

I do have some old 8-button AMX keypads by the doors where the DSC panels were, but they just look like 8 buttons and 8 lights to Homeseer. I use the buttons ind indicators in several ways--one does Arm the system on the way out, although I don't use it muct, the other buttons control landscape lighting and stuff.

Touch panels by the bed show security status, and if any door is open or unlocked, it shows there.

I should say that the relay devices, the door switch input device, the message devices, and the keypads are all old surplus AMX devices that talk to an AMX Netlinx controller via a big whole-house common RS-422 bus using old security wiring and spare wires in the phone cables. The Netlinx controller communicates with HS via an RS-232 link. I can use AMX devices and touch panel to control and respond to HS events. HS is the Scheduler and the real-time event-action processor, and AMX controller handles event I/O between all AMX input devices and HS, and handles all A/V stuff (IR and RS-232-controlled A/V equipment in three rooms).

So far works fine..was recently having a few Z-wave issues but Rick and Rich have taken care of those.

//Mark

Leave a comment:

• beerygaz
    replied
    My installer has moved from DSC to Paradox and loves them. He's encouraging me to toss my old DSC 832 Panel and put a Paradox one in. My problem is also the lack of a plugin. However, due to the stalled development on the existing DSC HS plugin I'm thinking about biting the bullet and writing a Paradox one. I just need to get my hands on a panel and the RS232 interface to start work.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    The Elk system that I have looked at is good with all of the bells and whistles. I am currently looking to install a second system and am still on the fence. I am looking for a small footprint installation (with as many bells and whistles that I can fit in a little space - say a 14" X 14" cabinet).

Leave a comment:

• fezode
    replied
    Hi Pete, It seems like the Elk M1G is the one, I have to admit that removing the Paradox Digiplex is going to be painful, its just so good and elegant, but unless someone creates a plugin for it Elk is going to take place.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Welcome to the world of Homeseer and HA.

The Digiplex EVO panel description sounds impressive. I have not seen anyone else on the forum using same / similiar type alarm panel.

Personally I have an Omni Pro II. I have heard good things relating to the Elk panel. I use HS for many activities but rely on my Omni Pro II for outside lighting and HVAC (Mostly all Insteon and a some X10).

I am currently considering utilizing an Elk panel for another home but sitting on the fence because I have not had any issues with my OmniPro II.

Leave a comment:

• Will remove my Paradox Digiplex, please help me to choose the right replacement

Working...
X