Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How best to do weather forecast w/o Weather XML?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How best to do weather forecast w/o Weather XML?

I'm a relative newcomer to HS, only been in the game for ~6 months. Many of you old timers have a license from weather.com for weather XML and are quite happy with it. It seems weather.com is no longer giving out the licenses, so this software is not an option for me.

I don't really want to go with VWS and I only own Oregon Scientific sensors, no weather station. So the cost and complexity would be prohibitive, but not out of the question.

WeatherPlug does not seem to be well supported anymore.

I really just need typical forecast info, like 5 day forecast, basic rain and wind info, etc. I live in San Diego so we don't get any threatening weather.

Is there a script, simple plug-in, or other good way to do this? I'm trying to work on my VB.net skills, so anyone's staring point script I can work with would be helpful. The info on this NWS/NOAA site (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/display_product.php?sid=SGX&pil=SFT) has what I need so simply scraping the fields might work.

Thanks in advance.

If you read this quick before I get edited try BLWeather.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I believe Jon00 has a Script for NOAA
      Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

BLWeather requires Weather.com XML. Won't this need a license?

Jon00 has an excellent UK weather plugin from the BBC. However I can't get a well enough localized site selection. I'm trying for the NOAA forecast for Rancho Bernardo 92128. Most weather programs only narrow it down to the city (San Diego), which is on the waters edge and gets foggy this time of year. I'm 11 miles inland and it can get 8F warmer in the afternoon.

Jon00 also has a NOAA plugin but it's extremely basic, no forecast info.

Comment

It may be overkill for what you need... but....

Maestro Weather gives you the ability to export weather data from Accuweather into devices.

And... It also gives you a pretty slick weather display on screens around the house (if I do say so myself).

Maestro Weather Video:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3BnmWH-Vk

Side Note: Maestro Weather Requires Maestro Core plus Lighting

Thanks,
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
            BLWeather requires Weather.com XML. Won't this need a license?

Jon00 has an excellent UK weather plugin from the BBC. However I can't get a well enough localized site selection. I'm trying for the NOAA forecast for Rancho Bernardo 92128. Most weather programs only narrow it down to the city (San Diego), which is on the waters edge and gets foggy this time of year. I'm 11 miles inland and it can get 8F warmer in the afternoon.

Jon00 also has a NOAA plugin but it's extremely basic, no forecast info.
            No, BLweather doesen't require anything else to work.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Mr Spock,

I've got a script I wrote that taps into NOAA XML to get wind and temp, but I have to agree with others here: BLWeather provides a no-frills way to get weather info into devices, then you can do what you want. I think it doesn't have the license problems because it doesn't try to get any of the weather.com proprietary images, but I don't know for sure.

Steve

Comment

Cool.

Comment

I am brand new to the homeseer world and I got a license from weather.com just a couple of days ago so they are still giving them out:

http://www.weather.com/services/xmloap.html

Comment

Weather Posts

Two scripts are attached. They are both in Visual Basic. These tap into accuweather.com. I use one to speak the forcast, and the other captures the current temperature so I can use it to help control the house thermostat. Since I cannot upload .vb extensions, these both have a .txt added, you will need to remove that to use them as Visual Basic Scrips. Live long an prosper Spock.
                    Attached Files

Comment

blweather

BLweather ROCKS!!!!

Thank you Bill for such a wonderful FREE weather script.

Toast to you! Cheers.

Comment

Thanks Viper. Much appreciated.

I concur with you mycrobyte, blweather is awesome. Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                        X