Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to drive my outdoor speakers with? Slim Devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to drive my outdoor speakers with? Slim Devices?

I have a pair of nice Bose outdoor speakers that I brought with me from my last house and want to drive them with a HS controllable device of some kind.

I've found the following:
    Slim Devices SqueezeBox (now logictech) http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html
    (needs an external amp)
    Sonos Zoneplayer120 http://www.sonos.com/whattobuy/ZP120/
    Linksys Director http://www.shoplinksys.com/viewprodu..._learnmore_wha

What other devices are out there and are any of them controllable via HS?

I can get an ethernet wire to the device relatively easy and I have wireless if needed (though I prefer wired to avoid dropouts).
    I would like a built-in amp so I can place it relatively close to the speakers (inside). I really don't want to run miles of speaker wire. And of course a remote to control the audio from the patio otherwise WAF will be very low (like it was in my last house).

What's the difference between running speaker wire and cat5 wire? How about a whole house 2 chanel stereo receiver controller by HomeSeer via IR or serial.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As Rupp mentioned, you will need an amplifier regardless of what input device you choose. So you will need to be able to control both the amplifier (ON/OFF and maybe volume) and you will need to be able to control the audio source program.

I leave my amplifier on all the time (during the day) and I use Homeseer to control the audio source (usually itunes).

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I would consider a Logitech duet ($325) plus an AudioSource Amp-100 ($85). There are 2 inputs on the AudioSource Amp-100 and input 1 can be connected to your HS PC sound card for voice announcements (input 1 quickly switches to overide whatever is playing through input 2 and then quickly switches back after the announcement). Use input 2 to connect the Receiver part of the Duet. The Controller part will work inside, outside, anywhere there is WiFi coverage from your WAP or Router. It will provide not only the volume and room control you get with a conventional "whole-house" amplifier, but also detailed access to our music collection, displayed album art, access to Internet radio, etc.

There is also Homeseer plugin for additional control options.

Comment

Reading specs on your suggestions. Its time for me to update my whole house amplifier and the AudioSource AMP sounds like it would fit nicely. What are the details on your setup?
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bought the Audiosource amp. Works well. Thanks for the suggestion. Looking into the Logitech Duet device. Personally I am into music and already having the ability to stream audio content everywhere has been great. Having a small remote which will allow this more easily would be beneficial.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete - the footprint of that amp looks good. Do you find that it generates any heat?
              I'm trying to see if I can make room in my wiring closet.

Thanks
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

It is very slightly warm - has cooling vents on the top. I would say not to cover these vents though. Very solid build. I have a Toa commercial amp which I was playing with and it appears to have same build quality. I also have a "few" mini RS amps and the build quality is ok and these are still cranking.
                Last edited by Pete; August 6, 2009, 07:53 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                X