Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack mount Elk M1

Hi,

I am considering removing my Elk M1 system from the wall mounted white box it comes with and fitting it into a rack mount 2U box. You can get the empty boxes from Mid Atlantic.

I've googled about to see if anyone has done anything like this before - but seen nothing. Has anyone here rack mounted their security system? is there any reason why you shouldn't? I'm surprised that I haven't found more people doing this

Opinions welcome...

Jon

No major reason not to, but dependent on how many zones you have, that will be quite a few wires going from wall to rack. I would just mount it to the wall behind the rack...

Comment

Hi David,

Yes, at the moment the zone cables all come into an open wall that is soon to be drywalled. My rack is directly next to the wall where these are. This means that the white box is kind of in the way of the rack, and it would be tidier for me to have it all tidy and routed through my cable management system. I guess one down side is if i sell the house then everything is integrated, but then again I have no plans to sell for a while...

Its something to do also - i'm running out of HA projects and I'm worried !

Hopefully the Schalge locks will work with Homeseer soon - that will keep me busy for a while

Jon

Comment

If mounting it in a standard 19" rack, you might consider using these:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...ries/CV-P-1300

We've had several customers have good luck with them.
        Martin Custer

Comment

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the link. It looks interesting, but I can't see exactly how the mounting works. Would you have a better image? If I am understanding this correctly, this could also be used for mounting small devices that I currently have on a rack shelf. Its the mounting method that interests me most

Thanks

Jon

Comment

Yes, it attaches (screwed in) to the front of the rack using standard rack screws. The plate is hinged so that normally (when closed) the front of the rack just looks kind of like a blank plate. The Elk, or other devices would be mounted on the inside of the plate.

When you need access, the plate out on the hinges so you can get to the items mounted on the backside. For mounting an Elk controller, you probably want to use 2 of these plates.

A more detailed spec sheet is attached.
            Attached Files
            Martin Custer

Comment

Thank you - the PDF is a help. I have some options now

Jon

Comment

Working...
              X