DS10 Battery Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS10 Battery Life

I finally decided to redo my HS config from the ground up. There were remnants from 1.6 days, I reflashed my HT and in process of re-entering all my devices, events and scripts, I didn't copy anything from the old config.... anyway I decided that since I have had DS10a's in service for the better part of 6 years or so and did not keep a log of when/if the batteries were changed I decided to replace all the batteries as I am adding them. I decided to check the batteries instead of just dumping them and much to my surprise most of them still deflect a full scale reading on my battery tester. Most of them have never been changed
    Over The Hill
    What Hill?
    Where?
    When?
    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Yeah, the battery life on those things are really good. I have some that are attached to doors with 20+ open/close cycles per day and I dont remember ever changing the batteries. I have others installed as leak detectors that almost never go off. I spritz the contact with water every once in a while and they all work great.

When the time comes to replace the batts, I think I'll write the date on the inside battery cover.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      .................. When the time comes to replace the batts, I think I'll write the date on the inside battery cover.
      Why write the date on the battery cover when you have the facility to write notes in HS next to each device?
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Gogs....

That's a brilliant idea!. I never thought of that - doing it now though.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
          Why write the date on the battery cover when you have the facility to write notes in HS next to each device?
          This is a really great idea!! Trouble is, in 3 years when it comes time to replace the batteries, I will never remember to do it!

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

OK Steve, trust you to complicate things.

Use a reminder program. I use one to remind me of Birthdays and things like that. It triggers when the house has been un-occupied to so long and changes to occupied.

Not sure I would like HS announcing "remember to change the drive batteries in 3 days".

If it is written on the inside of the battery lid what cunning way have you in mind for it to remind you.

There is however an easier way. Use DooMotion. It has the facility to monitor battery life time and alert you. It does not have to be a motion sensor to work with DooMotion. The Doc also wrote a cunning little script a long time ago, which I still use, which if it starts receiving A1 on/off will log that a sensor has a flat battery and check to see which motion sensor has not responded for a while and log that it suspects that sensor may be the one. I have found it 100% accurate, but, I deviate, as you are not talking about motion sensors - but should also work with anything as long as it is associated with DooMotion.
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
              Good idea! I always forget about the little icon next to the devices...

Comment

I change mine each year... the ones with the normal batteries in, I do have external ds10`s with the really large batteries so they last forever

TrOjAn

Comment

rmasonjr,

Off topic, but are you using the Hobby Board sensors on the end of a DS10A?

I've hooked some of mine up, but they don't seem to want to trigger...

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                    rmasonjr,

Off topic, but are you using the Hobby Board sensors on the end of a DS10A?

I've hooked some of mine up, but they don't seem to want to trigger...

--Dan
                    Yes - they work great for me. I do remember having to reverse the wires on a couple of the ones I soldered up, but they all work. I occasionally spritz water on them and they trigger fine. Try reversing the wires and see if that helps.

Comment

If you're talking about the leaf sensors, it doesn't matter which lead you have connected to whatever terminal. It's either open of closed.
                      I believe I've read that there are two versions of the leaf sensors - one with some protective coating (a varnish I think) and ones without.
                      Perhaps a light sanding with very fine sand paper or steal wool on the surface should help.

Rob
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                      X