best thermostat for HS control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best thermostat for HS control

I've given up on getting HS to control my existing air handler with HS functioning AS the thermostat. Now I'm going to try to find a thermostat that can be controlled by HS, and will of course replace my existing thermostat.

Here are my criteria:

1. Nothing against Zwave, but I don't have anything Zwave in my house, so it is my understanding that the zwave option is not the best for me. I have UBP in my home currently.

2. Cost...of course, the cheaper, the better :-)

3. I need some way of building events to "call for" heat, cold, fan, etc.

Taking all suggestions...thanks!
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Cheapest (that I know of) would be the Wayne Dalton unit, which we sell for about $90.... followed by the new Trane unit at $149. These are both Z-Wave, so they'd have to be in range of your controller to work.

Alternately, your best bet would be a serial TStat, like the RCS TR16 or TR60 units.

Thermostats in the HomeSeer store

Mark
    💁‍♂ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

the wayne dalton and the usb zwave stick combined are still cheaper than the next alternative. Would it be a problem if my only zwave device is the thermostat? The distance would be about 25 feet. Would there be other expenses, like the cost of a zwave plugin or anything?
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
        the wayne dalton and the usb zwave stick combined are still cheaper than the next alternative. Would it be a problem if my only zwave device is the thermostat? The distance would be about 25 feet. Would there be other expenses, like the cost of a zwave plugin or anything?
        The Z-Wave thermostat control plugin is free and in the next release of HomeSeer will be built in. The only other costs may be a lamp module or 2 to ensure communications. I've seen devices reach 50 feet and I've seen devices reach 3 feet.

Comment

The WDTC-20 is a 40.0 kbps z-wave node and lamp modules are 9.6 kbps. So, I dont think that using lamp modules as repeaters would work?
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is the Wayne Dalton unit requires to be plugged in right? You can't use the standadrd low voltage wire that a traditional HVAC Thermostat uses. For me that is the kicker....

Comment

also, i read where the WD thermostat (not sure if it is this one or not) doesn't support HS control of fan mode. that's a deal breaker for me.

I'm probably going to go with the TR16-485.
              Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                also, i read where the WD thermostat (not sure if it is this one or not) doesn't support HS control of fan mode. that's a deal breaker for me.

I'm probably going to go with the TR16-485.
                This is true. This low cost stat does not have remote fan control only manual. This is one of the reasons it's less expensive. You can't go wrong with the TR16.

Comment

Originally posted by bmora View Post
                  Another thing to keep in mind is the Wayne Dalton unit requires to be plugged in right? You can't use the standadrd low voltage wire that a traditional HVAC Thermostat uses. For me that is the kicker....
                  True - it must have its own power supply from the (C)ommon or you must have your own 24v AC power supply. I have two of these thermostats - one had the (C)ommon and the other required that I run its own power supply.

Fan control is not available via software control - it is a physical switch. I never use just fan mode, so it doesnt impact me.

Comment

For us non electricians is there an easy way to "tell" if we have the "c" wire available? Will it be white if wired with HVAC wiring?

Comment

Fortunately for mine, the old thermostat had it labeled as a white wire running to (C).
                      On the thermostat that did not have a (C)ommon, it was not present at all.

Here is the power supply I purchased:
                      http://www.allelectronics.com/index....uery=ACTX-2415

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        Fortunately for mine, the old thermostat had it labeled as a white wire running to (C).
                        On the thermostat that did not have a (C)ommon, it was not present at all.

Here is the power supply I purchased:
                        http://www.allelectronics.com/index....uery=ACTX-2415

Thanks
                        Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                        X