Refreshing the status page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someguysname View Post
    I dont use IE at all and I have "Use Internet Explorer as web browser" set to "NO" in the setup options. Is there something I am missing by not using IE?
    Not that we're aware of.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

One thing I've discovered is that IE7 & 8 seem to be problematic. I've uninstalled IE7 on the HS machine and find that page loads are much more reliable with IE6.
      On my other machines, I'd already installed IE8 and while I was able to uninstall it, IE7 seems to have become to deeply rooted and the loading problems continue there.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I'll explain exactly what I'm doing to get this problem.

Below is a screen shot of my status page when I hit F5 for refresh. I obscured the port number.

Note the following:
        1) I leave open multiple IE tabs of HS continuously for fast access to different items. Often I'm working on scripts and switch back and forth during their development.
        2) If I restart IE (but not HS) the problem goes away. Eventually, after IE stays open for some period of hours, the prompt comes back.
        3) I'm not clear on how long IE must be open for this to happen. It's longer than 3 hours but less than 24.
        4) If I open a new copy of IE (while the old copy is still open and issuing prompts on refresh) it does not generate the prompt. The new copy of IE must be open for several hours for the prompt to return to it.
        5) This occurred with IE7 and now occurs with IE8.
        6) This is occurring even if HS (localhost: portnumber) is a trusted web site using default trusted web site security values in IE8.
        Attached Files

Comment

The query string indicates you were editing or viewing device properties. I can recreate your scenario by editing a device (click the device name on the status page), and then cancel (or submit) to take you back to the status page. If you refresh, you get the prompt.

If, on the other hand you hit the status link or the devices link once (or manually change the URL in the address bar to //url : port/stat (with no query string (that is '?' followed by text), then it will work correctly.

Pete

Comment

Pete, not sure what you mean by query string.

I was on the Status page and simply hit F5. When I hit F5 the tab's text changes to "Blank Page", but returns to "HomeSeer Web Control" when it completes refreshing.

Comment

Your screen shot shows an address of //localhost:xxx/deva6898?edit=1

Everything after the '?' (edit=1) is a 'query string'. But the real problem is that this address is the adress for editing a device attributes page --- so I am guessing that sometime prior to taking this screen shot you clicked on a device name to see the device details. And when you come back (either through submit or cancel), Homeseer 'posts' data (the form on the device attributes page). This return from the device attributes page is causing you rproblem with the popup.

If you hit the "status" button (in the menu bar near the top of the page), it will draw the screen in a manner that it can be refreshed without that obnoxious popup.

Or, more simply, if you get the popup, click okay (or cancel) and then hit 'status' and you'll be fine goign forward.

Hope this is a little clearer
              Pete

Comment

Pete

You nailed the problem. It keeps remembering part of the address of the last edited device after doing a save. It clears out the first time you click on the Status button. From thereafter the use of F5 works ok.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, when you open a page in IE on any web server including HS as soon as that page is loaded the server will assume that it is now disconnected, unless the page auto refreshes.

So remember if you opened the page with a queery "?" then you need to resend the request to the server, it has forgotten you are there.
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Hi Gogs

In my case I was not opening the status page with a query. I edited a device and clicked Save. For crazy reasons HS then returns you to the status page instead of leaving you on the device page, but that is another rant.

In any case, once on the returned status page the address box is http://localhost: port#/deva6898&edit=1

Instead of http://localhost: port#/stat

Personally, I think this is a "undocumented feature" in HS. Am I wrong?

Comment

He's talking about the part of the URL in your screen grab AFTER the blacked out port number (/deva6898&edit=1). That seems to indicate that you had been editing a device.

Actually, I just tried it. If you open device properties, and then hit CANCEL, it takes you back to the STATUS page, but the URL remains as if you were editing, and an F5 causes a prompt. If you just hit BACK on the browser, it does not.

It does sound like something HS could fix in their code, but it also is something that's pretty easy to work around.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                        Actually, I just tried it. If you open device properties, and then hit CANCEL, it takes you back to the STATUS page, but the URL remains as if you were editing, and an F5 causes a prompt. If you just hit BACK on the browser, it does not.

It does sound like something HS could fix in their code, but it also is something that's pretty easy to work around.

Brian
                        Yes, that is what I was saying. Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
                        X