ALC Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALC Replacement

Been using HAI OmniPro II and HS for my automation for about 5 years. I have been very happy with everything I did (video/audio/temp/security) except lighting. I originally went with hardwired ALC (HAI/OnQ) off the HAI panel - reasoning was reliability and fast response (I did this in 2004).

Well, I have rarely had a 100% reliable lighting control ever - don't know the core reasons but at last count, I have 10 ALC modules that have failed in the last 4 years. At $80+ a pop, this is crazy. I have 3 young kids and they beat up the ALC paddles - they are pretty unforgiving - today, I have 2 paddles broken and have to pry them out of their case. I just noticed a few more modules dead today. These devices only have a 1-year warranty!

So, I am strongly considering migrating to Z-Wave, Insteon, something else. I figure step 1 would be replace my basement with the new and keep ALC for the other levels and as units fail, get new units. Move the good ALC modules in the basement to replace the dead ones upstairs. When they start failing upstairs, replace them with the new ones. Within X months/years, the migration would be complete.

My requirements are:
    Durability - good paddle feel, don't feel like paper like the ALC's do, don't break
    2-way - I want manual interactions to show on HS and computer control
    Quick, reliable - for being hardwired, my ALC sometimes takes 10+ seconds to display accurate dim levels
    Cost - $80 per switch is crazy

I would really like:
    CFL support - I want to start moving to these bulbs and ALC will not support them

I do have Cat-5's to every switch so I should have good options.

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

I just noticed your post from 6 months ago. Have you found the solution for your replacement? We have remodeled our house about a year ago and decided to go with a hardwired lighting system (Centralite). It was by no means cheap, but the functionality of the system is well worth it. After years of struggle with every lighting technology out there (x10, insteon, zwave and upb) I would rate it as the best automated lighting system so far. The switches themselves are not expensive (about $10 per button, you can have up to 8 buttons on a single gang switch, or a regular looking single paddle). The control system is the expensive piece. But it can control almost any type of load, fans, somfy drape motors and low and high voltage relays. It has the best integration with Homeseer and very reliable two-way communications with almost instant status update. The programming software is extremely easy to use (change any switch to control any load/sceene to any ramp rate/preset etc.) I believe it is also compatible with HAI. If you have cat5 to every switch and a lot of switches/loads you may want to check out this system.

Comment

Working...
    X