Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window Air Conditioners

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by buvens View Post
    I'll have to remember that about Whirlpool because when my Samsung looses power, it doesn't come back on till tou hit it with an IR power signal. Then it may be at what you set it and it may revert back to the 74 deegree setting. Doesn't seem to be any ryme or reason to the temp setting.
    As mentioned in an earlier post, I tried my Whirlpool and it seems to work fine. I do not have any other units with electronic controls to try however. I do have a Samsung but it has conventional manual controls.

    Comment


      #17
      Any updates for solutions for controlling window air conditioners?

      It seems the only really easy solution is to buy one with an IR remote and get one of those IR blaster setups and then teaching it all the remote codes. Does that sound right? Are there still no such things as Z-wave or X10 air conditioners??

      Comment


        #18
        The Whirlpool model mentioned here previously is IR (comes with a remote) if you feel the need to have that level of control. For me, On/Off has been sufficient to regulate the room temperature using some external sensor (an Oregon THGR in my case).
        Last summer, on installing, the A/C had retained all its settings over the winter.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Otis View Post
          Any updates for solutions for controlling window air conditioners?

          It seems the only really easy solution is to buy one with an IR remote and get one of those IR blaster setups and then teaching it all the remote codes. Does that sound right? Are there still no such things as Z-wave or X10 air conditioners??
          This is the only way I know to control them. I doubt you will ever see an X10 or Z-Wave window air conditioning unit.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            The Whirlpool model mentioned here previously is IR (comes with a remote) if you feel the need to have that level of control. For me, On/Off has been sufficient to regulate the room temperature using some external sensor (an Oregon THGR in my case).
            Last summer, on installing, the A/C had retained all its settings over the winter.
            You've been using on/off with that same model? Thanks.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              This is the only way I know to control them. I doubt you will ever see an X10 or Z-Wave window air conditioning unit.
              Why do you doubt we'll ever see such a thing? Not enough widespread adoption of HA? Or the fact that most of the newer homes have central air?

              For those of us living in parts of the country that have old homes and are looking to build HA into them, it sure would be a nice option. :kicksrock:

              Comment


                #22
                I have to agree with Rupp on this issue. I don't see it ever happening. Years ago wiring houses I was pulling Cat5 to everything the washer/dryer, kitchen appliances, etc. because at that time the companies were all saying what a great thing the connected house was going to be and they were going to support it. Well... we all know that went the way of the dinosaur and very few if any connected appliances were released for sale to the public.

                We have to face facts and realize that HA is still a niche market, growing but still tiny in the overall scheme of things. Even some of those cool devices that had X10 enabled, like the flood lights, alarm clocks, mini controllers with light sensors, etc. all kinds of cute little devices. Virtually none of them made any longer, simply because there just wasn't a market for them. Unless the manufactures use a different protocol for control, I don't think there is yet.
                Marty
                ------
                XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Otis View Post
                  You've been using on/off with that same model? Thanks.
                  Yes. That very model. This will be the third summer.

                  I run an event once a minute with a script that decides whether or not the A/C units should be on or off based on several factors:
                  - the room temperature vs the desired temperature
                  - occupation
                  - doors or windows open (why try to cool the outdoors?)
                  - outside temperature much lower than inside (HS verbally recommends opening windows instead).
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    This reminds me of a joke from my Linux Snob friend:


                    What do air conditioners and PCs have in common?
                    They are less effective if Windows is open...


                    ~Bill

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Marty
                      ------
                      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X