Delayed events cluttering up the log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    wow - must be nice to have that type of setup. I check my logs consistently, especially during beta runs. z-health also gives me feedback on it's status in the logs. Do you not test the log file changes in the recent beta builds?
    I've been lagging on the betas on my home setup. I do not use Z-health. Haven't needed it. I was an early adopter of Z-Wave and installed all Home Pro switches. They have been rock solid and never miss a beat. This may have to change if I decide to get these new locks but until then, it's been nice forgetting about the "lady in the wall".
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you Michael,

Let me start by observing.. if one of my most pressing "feature requests" is changes to the logging.. then i think by definition.. i'm pretty happy with the Homeseer Product..

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      Andrew,

In extreme cases, I also have set up temporary logging files for specific scripts if I am having trouble debugging a subtle problem.
      I'm not sure how to log anything to a different log file..

I use Hs.writelog when debugging.. but i do not know if there is an option to log to anything but the default HS Log.. can you give me a brief example?

As for some of your other ideas.. I think sharing the log file directory inside the house is a great idea that i will try.. I hadn't thought of that..

I've done VNC before.. but not in a while since i was having some problems.. (Several beta's ago) with he HS Main GUI locking up.. (HS would run o.k.. but i could not "restore"/"Maximize" the HS window.. when i quit using VNC and RDP.. the problem stopped.. but it may not have been related.. Since i haven't had a problem in ages.. maybe i'll try again.

Thanks for these ideas and the others.. again.. when a "feature request" involves something as admittedly trivial as changing how things are Logged..

Well.. I'm generally a happy camper. !
      Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        - I haven't made any changes to my system in a couple of months and if the "house" is working and the wife isn't complaining then all must be well.
        (Emphasis added)

That sir,

Is the most sure fire method of error notification known to any Home Automation system. Things show up through that feedback system often times more quickly than any Log file monitoring.

I go in spurts... where i leave my system alone for weeks/months.. then i get on a "Kick" where i want to tweak things... they kick usually lasts for a month or so.. then back to "normal".
        Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          I share the HS directory on my network. That gives me access to the log files on any computer in my house.
          The log is available via the HomeSeer web interface as well

(That said, there are clearly other opinions on that question, and there may be an opportunity for HST to further improve customer satisfaction by introducing additional capability.)
          You should check out UltraLog if you need/want more capabilities. It is a very robust log file to database tool. It also offers a query interface so you can query and categorize your log information if that is needed.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            If you guys dont look at your logs for months, how do you monitor your HS installation? I know I check my logs every morning . . .How do you guys monitor otherwise?
            Months is probably a bit of a stretch, but less than once per week is not unusual.

I have virtual devices that register key events. In cases where I want to know when something last ran, I check the Last Change entry for the device.

Also, as Rupp noted, when things aren't working properly it's usually quite obvious. Further, because I run Stargate in parallel, I have HS and SG set up to monitor one another.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I share the HS directory on my network. That gives me access to the log files on any computer in my house.
              The log is available via the HomeSeer web interface as well
              Rupp,
              This was in response to Andrew's observation that the HTML log is limited in size, "Also.. since the Web Accessed log fills up and truncates .. the less "extraneous" info in the log.. the larger the window into the past is.."

I'm not sure how to log anything to a different log file..
              Andrew,
              It's not exactly easy, although UltraLog may provide a simpler method. I just create a file and write to it.

Code:

Dim oFS As Object
                      Dim fApnd As Object
                      Dim ForAppending As Integer = 8
                      Dim strFileName As String
                      Dim strApPath As String
                      Dim strLogMessage As String = ""

[COLOR=Red]{ Code for generating entries goes here.}[/COLOR]

' Write log entry
                          If strLogMessage <> "" Then
                               oFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                                ' use the open text file method to open a file to be added to rather than overwritten.
                                fApnd = oFS.OpenTextFile(strFileName, ForAppending)
                                fApnd.WriteLine(Now & " - " & strLogMessage)

[COLOR=Red]{ If there's more log messages, they would go here. }[/COLOR]

' Close the file 
                                fApnd.close()
                                oFS = Nothing
                          End If
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
              X