alert light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alert light?

how do i devise an "alert" signal that is visual, not a loud siren, that gets triggered by an alert event or email. ie i get an alert event, it triggers some kind of signal in the kitchen perhaps that would alert us to check the event.
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

If i've read the question correctly you can do it many ways, at its simplest you could have an appliance/lamp module connected to a light (you could even have a red light bulb) or indicator of your choosing in a noticeable place.

Then you have an event that on receipt of email from anyone can switch it on (I have a similar setup, have a strip of RGB LEDs that light blue when I have email, red on various errors etc)

Comment

So many ways to do this. I use a couple of buttons on my UPB keypads to show that something needs attention other times I use an announcement, still others get the blinking light treatment.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

thanks marty where do i get a strip of lights to do the "alerts" thing
        HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

If your on about my RGB strip I got this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10061 then built this http://www.semifluid.com/?p=11 and drive it using com port commands in HS. I then mounted it behind my TV so I know when I have email etc.

Alternatively you could get the same RGB strip and three appliance modules with 12v power supplies, for each colour you could switch it on/off - a rather crude way of doing it (would enable some basic colour mixing aswell), but easier than programming PIC's.

But as nightwalker says, there are all sorts of ways of doing it.

Comment

At one point I was using old telephone company central office indicators as the warning lights, then I went to LED's mounted in a blank single gang plate. Now I use the keypads as the visual indicators.

Soooo many choices.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

hmm what keypads?

Comment

As an alternative to an alert "light" , you can have Homeseer speak a message such as "This is a reminder to close the garage door". Homeseer can continue to remind you until the door is closed.

Steve Q
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

yes i know but i will have better WAF with some kinmd of warning light. Maybe use one of those smarthome insteon keypads as the warning indicator for various alerts i have?

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
                    hmm what keypads?

I'm using the HAI 8 button keypads but any keypad that you have control over the indicator should work.
                    Marty
                    ------

Comment

Working...
                    X