Which Oregon Scientific Sensors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Oregon Scientific Sensors??

I am about to add a bunch more OS sensors to my HA environment. I have 6 THC-138's that I got CHEAP (wish I had gotten more!) but also want to include humidity.

With a number of models available, with and without displays, I am wondering which models are the favored and/or which ones are the most reliable?

I think I would like the ones with the display so I can use them locally, but there are many old and new models of these and I don't have a good idea if any are better than the others.

Any ideas?

Rob

PS. Adding one to our reptile aquarium to be sure temp and humidity stay within limits for our quarter-sized ($.25) Gulf Coast Box Turtle. We have a water vapor volcano that can help increase humidity quickly if needed.

I cant recall the exact models, but here's what I have:

temperature only - no display - highly reliable
    temperature/humidity - display with switch for F/C - somewhat reliable
    temperature/humidity - display in C only - not reliable

For the last one, I get more "Communication Failures" than I get readings and my test unit is maybe 10ft from my wiring closet. I've tried all 3 channels to no avail.

I have one of the temperature only units in my attic. I almost never get "Communication Failure" and it gets to nearly 130F in the attic
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

RTGR328NA or a THGR122NX???

Thanks Rob. I know the C only ones mentioned and am staying away from those. I just don't know the OS product line well enough to know if I should get a RTGR328NA or a THGR122NX.

Anybody have a preference?

Rob

Comment

Rtgr328na!

Got the RTGR328NA's and they are pretty neat! They work well and seem to transmit farther than the THC138's I have.

Only worked with them a few days, but so far a big thumbs up!

Comment

cool! is that the one with display?
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            cool! is that the one with display?
            Yes it is. It works perfectly. It has a clock as well. I don't need that function, but perhaps maybe the turtle and the dragon will learn how to tell time!

Rob

Comment

Sorry for the ignorance, but how do you connect your RTGR328NA wireless temp sensors to your HomeSeer. What kind of receiver are you using and how many sensors it can accomodate. How about a plug-in in HomeSeer (HS) to acquire the temperature readings from multiple sensors and trigger HS events based on temperature?
              I am using z-wave temp sensors, which I am not happy with and looking to replace them all ( 15 e.a.) however I do not want to replace a problem with another problem.

Comment

Personally, I use the ACRF2 plugin in conjunction with an RFX 433Mhz receiver, (www.cheapertronics.com) to deal with Oregon temp. sensors.
                I have more than a dozen sensors operating now with very few, if any, collisions.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thank you Wadenut. What is the typical RF range between the OS wireless temp sensor and the RFX receiver?

Comment

Hello! What is the Oregon Scientific sensor model that you want to read?
                    rfxcom devices are very expenssive... I can try to do something cheaper...

Thanks.

Comment

Oregon Scientific is cheaper. And supported by RFXCOM.

But all to it's own use. RFXCOM sensors are typically more advanced than OS.
                      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Guys

As a rough guide, I have found that Oregon sensors that ony have a single 1.5v cell have a poorer transmit range.

Obvious when you think about it....

David
                        ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

The RFXSensor can be received by the W800RF32 receiver.
                          There are 310MHz (for US&Canada W800) and 433.92MHz RFXSensor versions.

The RFXSensor can of course be received also by the RFXCOM receivers but the Oregon sensors have a lower price thanks to Chinese mass production.
                          The RFXSensor can have up to 7 low cost DS18B20 1-Wire sensors connected (using a 3 wire cable)

Comment

Working...
                          X